Cast energy leads popular musical to success

Laughter filled the Hillel theater as Charlie Brown and his friends discussed the events of a championship baseball game gone wrong.

Under the direction of Jason Mulligan and Justin John Moniz, QuantUM Entertainment’s You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown achieves everything the popular “Peanuts” comic strip would expect it to accomplish. Charlie Brown is the organization’s second performance of the academic school year. Thursday was opening night.

The play opens with the title song as Charlie Brown (Seth Reder) stands center stage as his friends give their opinions of him. On this particular day, his friends are all calling him a “good man,” and he decides to find out exactly how to become a good person.

Reder portrayed the title character well, incorporating all aspects of the typical Charlie Brown persona and adding a few surprising character twists of his own.

As the play progressed, the cast’s energy was palpable. Their ability to blend vocally and interact during the show’s most notable scenes was impressive. Though the show had some minor technical difficulties, the actors carried the story well, leading the audience through an exciting musical journey.

Lucy Van Pelt, played by Taylor Powell, stole the show. Powell’s quirky additions to the classical role of a know-it-all child, added great character depth and allowed the audience to connect with her performance.

Likewise, Sally Brown (Mary Claire Curran) stood out as one of the top voices of the show. Her operatic style added a new dimension to her character and the show. She was often the anchor of the musical numbers, energizing the rest of the cast with her riffs.

You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown was a fascinating display of UM talent, especially when considering the roots of the organization.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...