Cast energy leads popular musical to success

Laughter filled the Hillel theater as Charlie Brown and his friends discussed the events of a championship baseball game gone wrong.

Under the direction of Jason Mulligan and Justin John Moniz, QuantUM Entertainment’s You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown achieves everything the popular “Peanuts” comic strip would expect it to accomplish. Charlie Brown is the organization’s second performance of the academic school year. Thursday was opening night.

The play opens with the title song as Charlie Brown (Seth Reder) stands center stage as his friends give their opinions of him. On this particular day, his friends are all calling him a “good man,” and he decides to find out exactly how to become a good person.

Reder portrayed the title character well, incorporating all aspects of the typical Charlie Brown persona and adding a few surprising character twists of his own.

As the play progressed, the cast’s energy was palpable. Their ability to blend vocally and interact during the show’s most notable scenes was impressive. Though the show had some minor technical difficulties, the actors carried the story well, leading the audience through an exciting musical journey.

Lucy Van Pelt, played by Taylor Powell, stole the show. Powell’s quirky additions to the classical role of a know-it-all child, added great character depth and allowed the audience to connect with her performance.

Likewise, Sally Brown (Mary Claire Curran) stood out as one of the top voices of the show. Her operatic style added a new dimension to her character and the show. She was often the anchor of the musical numbers, energizing the rest of the cast with her riffs.

You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown was a fascinating display of UM talent, especially when considering the roots of the organization.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...