Arboretum offers seasonal venue for monthly jazz, classical concerts

With the cool fall weather comes a new way to enjoy the outdoors. The Frost School of Music and the John C. Gifford Arboretum have collaborated to create a free monthly concert series known as Music in the Arboretum.

The concerts feature jazz, classical and other types of music performed by Frost students and faculty.

Attendees are encouraged to bring a folding chair or blanket to the outdoor seating area, which is located on the northwest side of campus behind the Knight Physics Building.

“Music in the Arboretum is intended to expose students to the arboretum as well as the great talent within the Frost School of Music,” said Steve Pearson, director of the arboretum. “Listening to good music under the trees as the sun sets is a great way to end a day.”

The concert series kicked off last month with Avocado Estate, a trio of Frost graduate students who play progressive bluegrass. The next event, which is scheduled for 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, will feature a performance by Category 5 Brass.

“There are a lot of graduate students who enjoy the space,” said senior Jae Sung Shrader, chair of the ECO agency, a branch of Student Government. “I really hope that these events open up undergraduates’ minds to the arboretum.”

Anuradha Gunathilake, a doctoral biology student and curator of the arboretum, also hopes to bring attention to the location with this series.

“We can draw in the UM community and the public to come and enjoy the beauty of the arboretum,” Gunathilake said.

There will be no event in December, but the series will begin again on Jan. 17 and continue every third Thursday of the month through April.

Emelia Nunn

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...