Guide to art cinemas in Miami

Though Saturday night at the movies promising soda pops and skating waiters and waitresses aren’t really in vogue this century, going to the theater to see a film on the big screen is still a popular pastime. Check out these top five art cinemas – which have become gems in an era of franchised movie theaters – and are conveniently located in some of the city’s hippest spots.

O Cinema Wynwood

Located in the heart of the trendy Wynwood neighborhood, O Cinema’s extremely artistic exterior can make it pass for another art gallery in the district. But don’t let the nonprofit cinema fool you: today, it is the home for some of the latest eclectic films. The cinema, sits in a former warehouse that was once used for woodworking and electrical engineering, also serves as an art gallery and a gift shop. The small, comfortable cinema holds 55 – far more than your living room ­– and is equipped with a snack and wine bar.

According to an article reported by The Miami Herald, documentaries such as “Page One: Inside the New York Times” drew larger audiences than at the Regal South Beach, which offered showings of the same film. So, be sure to catch an indie film at this trendy venue.

O Cinema Wynwood is located on 90 NW 29th Street. For more information, call 305-571-9970, or visit its website at o-cinema.org. 

Coral Gables Art Cinema

The Coral Gables Art Cinema opened its doors to the public in 2011. It is a project of the Coral Gables Cinemateque, Inc., a nonprofit film arts organization. The small cinema is conveniently located a few minutes from campus. Catch a film at this hotspot and later make your way across the street to Books&Books, an independently owned, charming bookshop.

Coral Gables Art Cinema is located at 260 Aragon Avenue, Coral Gables. For more information, call 786.385.9689 or email questions to info@gablescinema.com. You can also visit the cinema’s website at gablescinema.com.

Tower Theater

Nestled in the heart of Little Havana and designated by USA Today as one of the “10 great places to see a movie in splendor,” Tower Theater is operated by Miami Dade College as a project stemming from the Miami International Film Festival. Be sure to catch a film at this thriving theater, which according to an article reported by The Miami Herald, sold $15,000 worth of tickets during the first week of “A Separation,” an Iranian film which brought in an average of $8,600 elsewhere.

Tower Theater is located at 1508 SW 8th Street. For more information, call 305-643-8706 or email towertheater@mdc.edu. Visit the theater’s website at towertheatermiami.com.

Miami Beach Cinematheque

Miami Beach Cinematheque, home to Miami Beach’s Film Society for the Miami Beach International Film Festival, provides a refreshing alternative to commercial cinema. With efforts to preserve the city’s Art Deco movement and architecture, the MBC’s location on South Beach is the former home to the historic City Hall. Built by Carl Fischer, a well-known entrepreneur in 1927, the building has been renovated to include a screening room, gallery, bookstore, library and cafe.

Miami Beach Cinematheque at Historic City Hall is located at 1130 Washington Ave., South Side, on the ground floor. For more information, call 305-67-FILMS (673-4567) or email info@mbcinema.com. Visit the theater’s website at mbcinema.com. 

Cosford Cinema 

University of Miami’s own Cosford Cinema offers a potpourri of film selections that can satisfy even the pickiest film lover. From indie films to classical box-office favorites, the campus’s own big screen will surely have a film to help brighten your day.

Cosford Cinema is located at 1111 Memorial Drive. For more information, call 305-284-4861 or visit the cinema’s website at cosfordcinema.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...