Basketball, Sports

Yderstrom, Stroman poised to fill legendary Canes’ shoes

The Miami women’s basketball team is coming off quite possibly the two best seasons in program history. The Hurricanes compiled a record of 54-11 during that time, earning a No. 2 seed in the ACC Tournament and a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament both years.

Coach Katie Meier now faces the daunting task of replacing the two players most responsible for the team’s success. Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams, arguably the two best women’s basketball players to ever don a Miami uniform, have both moved on to the WNBA.

Senior All-ACC guard Stefanie Yderstrom showed early leadership during Miami’s 85-63 exhibition win over Nova Southeastern on Monday, proving she is looking to fill the emotional void left by Johnson.

“I got to step up as leader and that’s something I’ve been working on and [Meier and I have] been talking about it a lot,” Yderstrom said. “I have to talk to my teammates, make sure they know the plays, that the energy is up and all that stuff.”

Sophomore guard Suriya McGuire, a former top-20 recruit, looks poised to step in for Williams.

“She just has been really focused on her game and contributing,” Meier said of McGuire. “But she’s also trying to take all this amazing athleticism and fit it into a system to where she’s not overdoing it … She’s just so fun to coach, I mean, she’s a super special young lady. She’s ready, she’s ready for the shoes she has to fill.”

Senior center Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson does return, and senior forward Jessica Capers showed during the exhibition that she can contribute down low, too. Capers finished with 10 points and six rebounds.

“I’m really proud of Jessica Capers because she’s been working her way up,” Meier said. “I’d say the first practice she probably wasn’t even in our top eight … She got real vocal, brings a ton of energy and she just moved her way right up to the first post off the bench.”

Also returning is senior Morgan Stroman, whose 2011-2012 campaign was cut short due to an Achilles injury.

“She was pretty active,” Meier said of Stroman’s recovery. “She was all over the court, typical ‘Stro, but really fun for me to have her back, and [she brought]tons of emotion.”

UM enters the year ranked No. 23 in the coaches poll and No. 24 in the Associated Press poll. Miami is set for several notable showdowns, including nonconference home games against No. 16 Tennessee and No. 8 Penn State in November.

Alex Schwartz

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...