Basketball, Sports

Veteran scorers lead to high expectations for 2012 team

After posting a 20-win season and a winning record in the Atlantic Coast Conference for the first time ever, expectations are sky-high in Coral Gables as the men’s basketball team nears its 2012-2013 kickoff against Stetson. The Canes debut at 5:30 p.m. Friday in the BankUnited Center.

With six seniors on the team and three of last year’s top four scorers returning in Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji and Reggie Johnson, it’s no surprise that many experts picked Miami to be a sleeper in the ACC. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has the Hurricanes penciled in as a nine seed for the NCAA Tournament, while Blue Ribbon Yearbook has Miami at No. 24 in its preseason rankings.

The Canes finished last year tied for fourth in the conference, a program best, as coach Jim Larranaga became the first head coach to open his UM career with 20 wins. Even though Miami saw players like Scott, Johnson and DeQuan Jones  miss a slew of games due to suspensions, NCAA investigations and injuries, the team was able to earn some impressive victories. Most notably, the Canes notched an overtime road win against No. 7 Duke and a home victory over No. 15 Florida State.

Miami’s season would eventually end with a second-round loss to Minnesota in the National Invitation Tournament.

With the addition of freshman Tonye Jekiri and the return of big man Julian Gamble, Miami will feature a deep and physical frontcourt. Jekiri, a 7-footer from nearby Champagnat Catholic School, was rated the 23rd best center in his class by ESPN.com.

The Canes’ backcourt is a different story, with Scott missing time due to a suspension that has carried over from last year, and redshirt freshman Bishop Daniel’s status still unclear because of a hamstring injury.

Although a 69-67 loss to St. Leo put somewhat of a damper on the Canes’ preseason buzz, the players are trying to stay positive.

“It’s embarrassing, but I think we’re going to bounce back,” said senior guard Trey McKinney Jones in Friday’s postgame press conference. “We’re a resilient group, and I think we learned a lot from tonight.”

With consistent powerhouses like Michigan State, Duke and North Carolina on the schedule, the Canes will have to ratchet up the intensity and avoid getting caught up in the preseason hype that surrounded them these past weeks. Larranaga, entering his 29th season as a head coach, boiled it down to five simple words last Friday:

“Actions speak louder than words.”

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

Miami fell behind early and could not recover Sunday afternoon, falling in the series finale to host ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...