News Briefs – 11/8

Tournament

Now through Tuesday, students can register for the Wellness Center’s FIFA tournament, which is taking place on Wednesday starting at 6 p.m. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Veterans Day

Commemorate Veterans Day at the 2012 Veterans Day Tribute on Monday from 10 to 10:30 a.m. on the Rock. President Donna E. Shalala will be present and joined by the Student Veterans Organization, faculty and staff veterans, and the Color Guard.  RSVP by calling 305-284-5478 or emailing mherris@miami.edu.

Hope Tree

Holiday Hope Tree is UM’s largest and longest-running holiday toy drive. Students can brighten a child’s holiday with a donation that would benefit kids from infants up the teenagers under 17. Gifts must be new, unwrapped and age appropriate. Angel cards are available at the UC Info Desk during the month of November.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...