America must now stand behind its president

Election Day is over, but politics are not.

At 7 p.m. Tuesday, polls started closing and Americans tuned into results through TVs at home, victory parties at restaurants, and radio stations in cars all over the country. But in Miami-Dade, many voters were still in line.

Two days after the election, the Sunshine State shines yellow with a few votes still to count. Although many Mitt Romney supporters came out to cast their ballots, supporters of President Barack Obama seemed more determined. This was evident in the popular vote and in the vote that ultimately matters – the Electoral College.

As of 11 p.m. Tuesday night, Obama was re-elected president of the United States without Florida’s 29 electoral votes. And even if the state ultimately leaned red, it was improbable for Romney to take the lead.

During the last six months, both Obama and Romney were motivated and fought hard to win – their campaigns were strong, vigorous and expensive.

In the end, America spoke. And Obama was the country’s answer.

Whether you consider yourself a conservative or a liberal, Obama will be our commander-in-chief for the next four years. His rules will have to be followed.

Every president has made mistakes; it is inevitable – encrypted in our DNA as human beings.

We must look ahead to the future, not behind at the past.

In a poll conducted by The Miami Hurricane in late September, students on campus emphasized the importance of some issues. Of the nearly 300 individuals who voted, 48 percent said the economy was the most important issue, 13 percent said the budget, 10 percent said college debt and 9 percent said gay rights. Other topics that interested students were energy and the environment, abortion, foreign debt and immigration.

This is not the time to doubt Obama’s plans or promises. This is the time to remember that, as a country, we strive to be a nation that stands on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness regardless of which party is in control of the White House.

We need to stand behind him as he prepares to take charge in January when he is inaugurated as our president for the second time. We must also remember that we are not taking sides, but uniting as Americans.

It is time to prove to the rest of the world why the U.S. is the greatest country in the world, divided or not.

Editorials represent the majority view of  The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...