Basketball, Sports

Canes come away with 85-63 win over Nova in exhibition match

The Miami women’s basketball team started its 2012-13 campaign on Monday night with an exhibition game against Nova Southeastern.

The visiting Sharks, featuring three Division I transfers, gave Miami all it could handle for over 30 minutes. However, UM regrouped and took control of the game down the stretch, en route to a 85-63 victory.

“Not to any surprise at all, Nova Southeastern is a great basketball team,” UM Head Coach Katie Meier said after the game. “I think they’re so well-coached. They’re competitive, they fight. They’ve got some real nice additions to the team.”

One of those additions was Amanda Burakoski, a 6-foot junior guard who sat out last season after transferring from St. John’s. The Brooklyn, N.Y. native was the game’s high-scorer, pouring in 20 points on 50 percent shooting from the field. Danielle Robinson, a 5-foot-8 sophomore, was the only other Shark in double figures, finishing with 16 points.

For Miami, Stefanie Yderstrom was tops with 19 points, including 4-8 shooting from beyond the arc. The 5-foot-8 senior guard was a Third Team All-ACC pick last year and a Preseason All-ACC selection this year.

While Yderstrom’s contributions might have been expected, that is not necessarily the case for senior Jessica Capers. The 6-foot-2 forward actually received more playing time than Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson, and all of it was earned. Capers had 10 points, six rebounds and shot 4-5 from the floor.

“She has worked, and she has been into it,” Meier said of Capers, “like she’s really, I think, just really committed in making sure Miami is good.”

Suriya McGuire was the other surprise performer for the ‘Canes. With sophomore guard Michelle Woods scratched due to a pregame eye issue, McGuire started and was very impressive. The sophomore guard had 13 of her 14 points in the first half, and she also added six rebounds, three assists, two blocks, and two steals to her total.

“We have a little thing where it’s like, ‘They haven’t seen anything like you before,’ and I knew that she would kind of burst onto the scene tonight,” Meier said of McGuire’s performance.

With McGuire cooling off in the second half, NSU seized an opportunity to make a run early in the second session. After leading 38-25 at the break, Miami quickly saw its lead evaporate, as the Sharks used a barrage of 3-pointers to get back into the game.

NSU actually came back to even up the score at 49 with 12:35 to go, when senior guard Tailor Jones hit freshman guard Taylor Buie with a great pass on a pretty backdoor cut for an easy layup.

From there, though, it was all Miami. The ‘Canes responded with a 13-0 run to take a 62-49 and never looked back, closing the game with a 36-14 run to get the final score.

“I thought it was great, there was no panic out there and I’m glad,” Meier said. “I have exhaled, just knowing that we’re going to be alright.”

Miami, ranked No. 23 in the Coaches Poll and No. 24 in the AP Poll, opens its regular season slate on Friday. The ‘Canes will take on North Florida at 8:00 p.m. at the BankUnited Center.

Alex Schwartz

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...