News Briefs-11/5

Before hitting the books for finals, check out these upcoming Year of the Humanities events. 

BookTalk

The final BookTalk presentations at Books & Books in Coral Gables will feature history professor Michael Miller and Associate Professor of English Brenna Munro. Miller will discuss his recent book, titled “Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth-Century History,” which focuses on a new understanding of globalization over the past century. His talk will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Registration is not necessary.

Munro will explore South Africa after apartheid and the effect of adopting a constitution to include gays and lesbians as full citizens in “South Africa and the Dream of Love to Come: Queer Sexuality and the Struggle for Freedom.” Munro’s talk will occur at 8 p.m. on Nov. 28. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Art Basel

Laura Knott, a curatorial associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Museum, will give a presentation on Art Basel Miami Beach. Titled “Art Basel Miami Beach and the Culture of the Art Fair,” the lecture is about the past, current and future trends at the artists and galleries at Art Basel. Knott will speak on Nov. 29 at 4:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. Registration is currently closed for the event, but a form can be completed online at humanities.miami.edu/calendar to land a spot on the wait-list.

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University, will discuss her experiences with autism in her presentation “Different Kinds of Minds.” She is a recognized individual with autism, who has written and published four books,  and appeared in news outlets. She will speak at the BankUnited Center at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31. For more information and to register, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...