News Briefs-11/5

Before hitting the books for finals, check out these upcoming Year of the Humanities events. 

BookTalk

The final BookTalk presentations at Books & Books in Coral Gables will feature history professor Michael Miller and Associate Professor of English Brenna Munro. Miller will discuss his recent book, titled “Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth-Century History,” which focuses on a new understanding of globalization over the past century. His talk will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Registration is not necessary.

Munro will explore South Africa after apartheid and the effect of adopting a constitution to include gays and lesbians as full citizens in “South Africa and the Dream of Love to Come: Queer Sexuality and the Struggle for Freedom.” Munro’s talk will occur at 8 p.m. on Nov. 28. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Art Basel

Laura Knott, a curatorial associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Museum, will give a presentation on Art Basel Miami Beach. Titled “Art Basel Miami Beach and the Culture of the Art Fair,” the lecture is about the past, current and future trends at the artists and galleries at Art Basel. Knott will speak on Nov. 29 at 4:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. Registration is currently closed for the event, but a form can be completed online at humanities.miami.edu/calendar to land a spot on the wait-list.

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University, will discuss her experiences with autism in her presentation “Different Kinds of Minds.” She is a recognized individual with autism, who has written and published four books,  and appeared in news outlets. She will speak at the BankUnited Center at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31. For more information and to register, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...