News Briefs-11/5

Before hitting the books for finals, check out these upcoming Year of the Humanities events. 

BookTalk

The final BookTalk presentations at Books & Books in Coral Gables will feature history professor Michael Miller and Associate Professor of English Brenna Munro. Miller will discuss his recent book, titled “Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth-Century History,” which focuses on a new understanding of globalization over the past century. His talk will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Registration is not necessary.

Munro will explore South Africa after apartheid and the effect of adopting a constitution to include gays and lesbians as full citizens in “South Africa and the Dream of Love to Come: Queer Sexuality and the Struggle for Freedom.” Munro’s talk will occur at 8 p.m. on Nov. 28. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Art Basel

Laura Knott, a curatorial associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Museum, will give a presentation on Art Basel Miami Beach. Titled “Art Basel Miami Beach and the Culture of the Art Fair,” the lecture is about the past, current and future trends at the artists and galleries at Art Basel. Knott will speak on Nov. 29 at 4:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. Registration is currently closed for the event, but a form can be completed online at humanities.miami.edu/calendar to land a spot on the wait-list.

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University, will discuss her experiences with autism in her presentation “Different Kinds of Minds.” She is a recognized individual with autism, who has written and published four books,  and appeared in news outlets. She will speak at the BankUnited Center at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31. For more information and to register, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...