Football, Sports

Miami beats Virginia Tech, on track for Coastal Division title

Jimmy Gaines (59) and Jalen Grimble (92) celebrate during Thursday’s game against Virginia Tech at Sun Life Stadium.The Hurricanes beat the Hokies 30 to 12. Holly Bensur // Contributing Photographer

There were few expectations for the Hurricanes when the 2012 football season began in September. The team was ripe with inexperienced freshmen and sophomores. Factor in the nation’s ninth-toughest schedule and a lingering NCAA investigation, and it’s clear why many expected Miami to struggle mightily.

Nine games later, the Canes are still in the fight for a spot in the school’s first ACC Championship game.

Miami’s 30-12 dismantling of the Virginia Tech Hokies Thursday night was not quite a welcome back party in terms of national relevance, but the Canes demonstrated that they have what it takes to climb back into the conversation. At 5-4, 4-2 ACC, Miami took sole possession of first place in the Coastal Division and effectively ended the Hokies’ (4-5, 2-3 ACC) title game chances.

“I’m real proud of the effort and the fact that a lot of our young guys are not young anymore,” coach Al Golden said after the game. “They had a good look, they prepared well, we had good practices. I felt good coming into the game, and the kids responded.”

This Hurricanes team is by no means a finished product. Miami emerged with an 18-point win, despite converting just one third down attempt and losing the total yardage and time of possession battles. However, in what was arguably Miami’s most important conference matchup since leaving the Big East in 2004, the Canes overcame the stat sheet and will control their own destiny the rest of the way.

Golden acknowledged that fans often have unrealistic expectations, but noted that the road to the promised land begins with the ACC, which the Canes have not yet conquered.

“It’s critical. I know everybody wants us to be national champions yesterday and get back to the BCS games and all that, but the reality is that the pathway to that is through the Coastal,” he said. “It’s almost like we have to re-educate our team that that’s how you get there.”

Whether Miami will even be able to play in the championship game – assuming they take care of Virginia and Duke in the coming weeks – is another issue entirely. The team is still awaiting sanctions from an NCAA investigation into former booster Nevin Shapiro’s illicit gifts to former players.

The Hurricanes would have to announce their intention to self-impose a bowl ban before the championship game is played. Miami’s 6-6 team was bowl eligible in 2011 but removed itself from postseason consideration.

“Ever since we moved to the ACC, no [Miami] team has won the ACC or Coastal Division,” quarterback Stephen Morris said. “Our focus is winning this game, winning the ACC Coastal, and going into the championship. I take it really personal. We do it for the seniors who have never won a championship, and who have never been able to call themselves champions.”

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...