Lecturer introduces finite math course with emphasis on art

Math isn’t necessarily every student’s expertise. But regardless, it’s something people need for everyday life – even if you aren’t majoring in math.

University of Miami lecturer Lun Yi Tsai is offering the perfect math course next semester for students who need to get the requirement out of the way, but aren’t into derivatives and log functions.

The course, “Finite Mathematics with a Special Emphasis on Math and Art,” touches upon subjects that all students can appreciate. The three-credit course incorporates ideas that relate to forms of art such as drawing, painting, architecture, design and entrepreneurship.

“It’s the type of math that stretches your mind,” Tsai said. “It helps you understand how the world is built and connected.”

The class covers several topics, including Euclidean geometry, linear perspective and symmetry.

“The course is a quick launch for non-math people into a few areas of advanced mathematics that are usually reserved only for math majors,” Tsai said. “These exciting vistas give students – who may never take another math class in their lives – a glimpse of the sort of math that many mathematicians today find fascinating.”

Tsai has introduced some of these topics in his previous classes, and students have demonstrated interest in exploring math from this different perspective.

“I would definitely take up the opportunity to enroll in a math class that goes beyond solving equations and makes you think,” said junior Joana Palma, a philosophy major.

Tsai hopes students will appreciate math more after taking his course.

“I think it’s math that’s more connected to the real world,” he said. “It makes students appreciate that there’s math all around us – visually what makes something beautiful. It tells you the shape of the universe and how products that we see every day are created. It’s playful.”

Students interested in studying math from a creative angle should look out for MTH113 with Tsai during registration for the spring semester.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...