Time to sift through the lies

Less than two weeks from Election Day, it is frustrating for voters to sift through the lies spewing from candidates as they appeal to voters by blatantly lying and changing their platforms. Yet, as responsible citizens of the U.S., it is our civic duty to cast a properly educated vote.

Lies were present in abundance thanks to former Gov. Mitt Romney during the third presidential debate.  During the segment on the Syrian war, Romney began by misinforming the public while expressing his concern for the relationship between Syria and Iran’s developing nuclear program.

“Syria is Iran’s only ally in the Arab world, it’s their route to the sea,” he said.

Last time I checked, Iran was surrounded by the Caspian Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, all suitable paths for traveling by boat.

President Obama refused to turn a blind eye on these continuing misperceptions and highlighted some of Romney’s refashioned policies. He initially opposed a timetable in Afghanistan, but now he’s for it.

He would have ended the war in the Iraq, but he now thinks we should have 20,000 more troops there. He would have also ordered a kill on Osama bin Laden, but he wouldn’t have moved heaven and earth to get him, and he would have also asked Pakistan for their permission.

However, it wouldn’t have been a presidential debate if Romney hadn’t bragged at least twice about the fact that Massachusetts’s school system ranks No. 1 in the nation. As a Maryland public school student of 13 years it brings me great pride to inform you, Mr. Romney, that Maryland has been ranked No. 1 in Education Week for the past four years.

Let’s get the facts straight.

Jordan Coyne is a freshman majoring in journalism and international studies.