Time to sift through the lies

Less than two weeks from Election Day, it is frustrating for voters to sift through the lies spewing from candidates as they appeal to voters by blatantly lying and changing their platforms. Yet, as responsible citizens of the U.S., it is our civic duty to cast a properly educated vote.

Lies were present in abundance thanks to former Gov. Mitt Romney during the third presidential debate.  During the segment on the Syrian war, Romney began by misinforming the public while expressing his concern for the relationship between Syria and Iran’s developing nuclear program.

“Syria is Iran’s only ally in the Arab world, it’s their route to the sea,” he said.

Last time I checked, Iran was surrounded by the Caspian Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, all suitable paths for traveling by boat.

President Obama refused to turn a blind eye on these continuing misperceptions and highlighted some of Romney’s refashioned policies. He initially opposed a timetable in Afghanistan, but now he’s for it.

He would have ended the war in the Iraq, but he now thinks we should have 20,000 more troops there. He would have also ordered a kill on Osama bin Laden, but he wouldn’t have moved heaven and earth to get him, and he would have also asked Pakistan for their permission.

However, it wouldn’t have been a presidential debate if Romney hadn’t bragged at least twice about the fact that Massachusetts’s school system ranks No. 1 in the nation. As a Maryland public school student of 13 years it brings me great pride to inform you, Mr. Romney, that Maryland has been ranked No. 1 in Education Week for the past four years.

Let’s get the facts straight.

Jordan Coyne is a freshman majoring in journalism and international studies. 

Jordan Coyne

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Time to sift through the lies”

1. Balanced Perspective says:

To provide a counterargument, some of what Obama and Romney said was not true. Attacking Romney for making false statements, is pointless since Obama did the same. About the public school system argument, it depends on the rankings. Some have Massachusetts being number 1, while others have Maryland being number 1.

I recommend you check your sources before accusing someone of blatantly lying. How about Obama saying that the US “doubled exports to China”. Look at the facts “In 2009, U.S. exports to China were at $69.5 billion. In 2011, U.S. exports to China were at $103.9 billion.” If someone can’t do math, how can they get the economy going.

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...