Former Gov. Mitt Romney to visit campus Wednesday

4

Governor Mitt Romney speaks with Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas at Univision’s Meet the Candidates during his last trip to the University of Miami. Photo courtesy Jeffrey Boan.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will visit the University of Miami on Wednesday at the BankUnited Center (BUC) to host a grassroots rally for supporters. He will be joined by Senator Marco Rubio, former Gov. Jeb Bush and Congressman Connie Mack.

According to the main event’s website, the event will take place at 2 p.m. Doors will open at noon.

Rudy Fernandez, vice president for government affairs, stated that tickets will be distributed online, through the official campaign website. Campaign supporters interested in attending will be asked for their email address and then will be sent an attachment they may print for entry.

Tickets for the rally President Barack Obama held on Oct. 11 at the BUC were distributed by the campaign. Students and supporters interested in participating were responsible for collecting their tickets at the location where the event was held.

The Obama campaign distributed between 8,000 and 8,500 tickets, Fernandez said. Although the BUC holds 8,000 people, they overcompensated to account for possible no-shows.

An exact number of tickets to be distributed for the Romney campaign has not yet been disclosed, but Fernandez believes distributing them online will be helpful to those who wish to attend.

“It’s a very efficient way to make sure that supporters get tickets,” Fernandez said. “The Romney campaign is working very hard to get as many people and pack the BankUnited Center and they’re looking to have all interested students and all people in the community attend.”

This will mark the second time the presidential candidate visits campus. Romney was last at UM on Sept. 19, when Univision reporters Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas Romney and Obama for a broadcast on the Spanish station. Romney’s session with the journalists lasted 35 minutes, while Obama’s lasted one hour. The Romney event was not open to a lottery for student tickets. The president has visited the University of Miami three times in the past eight months.

The candidates have been looking to garner support from the state of Florida, which has a total of 29 electoral votes and has been considered a powerful swing state during this election.

Fernandez believes that this helps enhance the University of Miami student experience.

“We feel that this adds a lot to being a University of Miami student, and hopefully it sends a very strong message that whether you are a Republican or a Democrat, it is very important to get involved in the democratic process, to vote, to learn about the issues and to get involved,” Fernandez said. “It is very unique that in a 10-month period, we have been able to host President Obama three times and Gov. Romney twice. I know no other institution in Florida can claim that they’ve been able to do that. It’s a very special experience for the whole university, especially for students.”

For more information, visit the campaign website at mittromney.com or log in to obtain tickets directly at this site. According to the site, attendees will go through airport-like security and should bring as few personal items as possible. No bags, sharp objects, umbrellas, liquids, or signs will be allowed in the venue. Cameras are permitted.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Share.

About Author

Editor-in-chief

4 Comments

1. Priorities? There is $1 trillion of student loan debt, student loan interest rates have DOUBLED since Obama “took out the middle man,” student loan defaults are at their highest level EVER, ROTC and JAG students’ insurance plans have tanked while Obama passed Obamacare, tuition rates are growing, AND 50% of students are graduating without a job or in a field in which they did not study. More Pell grants will not fix this problem.

I don’t doubt that Obama is well intentioned, but his policies are not working. We need to take some personal responsibility and interject competition back into the student loan market. If banks hand out more money to car buyers, dealerships will raise the price on cars because the dealers can get more money per car. It works the same way with education: when the government hands out more student loans, schools raise their tuition rates because they can get more money per student. Allowing banks to handle student loans, like they did before, will drive down the interest rates because there will be competition. This will halt interest rate increases, student loan defaults, and the rise of tuition rates. It was working before Obama got into office. Obama is not working!

2. More battleships for by far the world’s largest navy or more and higher Pell grants? Get your priorities straight sheeple.

3. The University of Miami should not be so bias. Romney is the better choice and they just do not want the students to figure that out but the students are too smart to vote for Obama and his communist views.

4. Where is Shalala’s e-mail about the Romney event? Does she really care about students getting out to vote, as she said in her e-mail about the Obama event? Or does she just want more Obama votes? There is still 24 hours before Romney comes for her to let us know.