Mayday Parade talks pressure from label, tour with The Maine

Cover art courtesy Independent Label Group (ILG) Press

Alternative rock band Mayday Parade has seen a considerable upswing in popularity since its inception and critically-acclaimed debut, “A Lesson In Romantics.”

The band is now touring with The Maine, promoting its self-titled third album.

The Miami Hurricane recently got the chance to interview the band. The guys talked about the past few years, their newest music, and their tour with The Maine.

The Miami Hurricane: Currently you guys are performing a lot of content from your third album, “Mayday Parade.” Have you started to work on anything for your fourth album?

Mayday Parade: Since the release of the third album, we’ve been touring for a while. We all have a bunch of stuff we’ve been working on, but for the most part it’s just a lot of ideas we’re excited about. We haven’t started writing together as a band yet. We just want to finish our tour and then sometime in 2013, we’ll get together to write and record the new album.

TMH: How long does it usually take for you guys to cut a new album?

MP: It will usually take us a couple months or so just to write the songs and another few to record the songs. I think our last album took about five months to cut, and that’s about average.

TMH: A lot of you guys complained that on your second album, “Anywhere But Here,” that you guys felt a lot of pressure from your label to adhere to a certain form, and that it killed some of the creativity on your album. Do you still feel that pressure as you try to evolve as a band?

MP: Luckily for us, we didn’t run into any of those issues with our last album.

We were able to make an album that we were happy with, and we didn’t really feel too much pressure from the label this time around, I think because we had proved that we knew what we were doing.

As far as evolving as a band goes, I don’t feel like there is anything stifling us. But at the same time, we’re not trying to re-invent the wheel, you know?

We know we have a style that got us famous, and one that our fans love, so we’re not trying to be too experimental. Everybody knows bands that they love, who at some point in their career, released an album where you’re just like, “What happened?” We’re not going to be that band.

TMH: You guys released a fully acoustic EP, “Valdosta,” in 2011. Any plans for a similar type of album?

MP: Probably not, maybe another EP, but I doubt we’d ever do a fully acoustic album.

TMH: How are things looking for the tour and going into the future?

MP: The tour has been great. Getting to go out and play with a band like The Maine every night is an incredible privilege.

We’ve been together seven years and it’s been amazing. We’ve traveled all over the world and hopefully we can keep it up.

We just want to keep impressing fans and coming up with new music that they’ll enjoy.

If You Go
What: Mayday Parade
Where: Revolution Live (100 SW 3rd Ave., Fort Lauderdale)
When: Saturday at 6 p.m.

Robert Pursell

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...