Dress to impress this Halloween

It’s that time of year again, folks. Time to bob for apples, carve your spooky jack-o-lanterns and indulge in your favorite treats. On All Hallows’ Eve at the U, students will bring out all the stops to show off their most creative costumes; whether you are looking to pull off a classic character or want to dress up as a TV reality star, there are always tricks to complete your look.

You can never go wrong with the retro sailor. This ‘40s-inspired look with a modern twist can be put together with a great pair of blue high-waisted shorts, a red striped shirt and a white bandana. Add a white sailor hat to top off your old-fashioned get-up. But remember that rain manages to make an appearance every year. Runny mascara and the Grove do not make a great mix. Waterproof mascara is definitely a smart investment. Don’t forget to wear poppy red on your lips to finish up your sailor look.

Disney-themed outfits are always cute for pictures, but there are plenty of new costumes to take advantage of this Halloween, like Katy Perry’s classic “California Gurl.” A blue wig and a Candy Dots dress are always a fun choice. If you’re feeling even more daring, show off your inner Lady Gaga. A risky move? Clearly. But you’ll look fierce. One of her more modest looks is the skin-tight black jumpsuit with the exaggerated shoulder piece and high-heeled boots. That will be a show-stopping outfit for your fellow monsters.

Now for the fellas, the 1920’s gangster costume is always a favorite. You can pull off this John Dillinger-inspired look with a dark pinstripe suit, a white collared shirt and a great pair of loafers. Top it off with a classy fedora. You can also model your mobster outfit after Mr. Tony Soprano. A black, short-sleeved collared shirt, black pants, black loafers, a black leather jacket and a toy cigar will definitely help you achieve the look of this modern racketeer.

For the boys who like to put a little more effort into their costumes, it is time to show off your favorite superhero. You can dress up as a recently celebrated hero like Batman or Spiderman. If you’re into group costumes, the Avengers could be a great idea for you and your pals.

About Author

Courtney Odza

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...