Dress to impress this Halloween

It’s that time of year again, folks. Time to bob for apples, carve your spooky jack-o-lanterns and indulge in your favorite treats. On All Hallows’ Eve at the U, students will bring out all the stops to show off their most creative costumes; whether you are looking to pull off a classic character or want to dress up as a TV reality star, there are always tricks to complete your look.

You can never go wrong with the retro sailor. This ‘40s-inspired look with a modern twist can be put together with a great pair of blue high-waisted shorts, a red striped shirt and a white bandana. Add a white sailor hat to top off your old-fashioned get-up. But remember that rain manages to make an appearance every year. Runny mascara and the Grove do not make a great mix. Waterproof mascara is definitely a smart investment. Don’t forget to wear poppy red on your lips to finish up your sailor look.

Disney-themed outfits are always cute for pictures, but there are plenty of new costumes to take advantage of this Halloween, like Katy Perry’s classic “California Gurl.” A blue wig and a Candy Dots dress are always a fun choice. If you’re feeling even more daring, show off your inner Lady Gaga. A risky move? Clearly. But you’ll look fierce. One of her more modest looks is the skin-tight black jumpsuit with the exaggerated shoulder piece and high-heeled boots. That will be a show-stopping outfit for your fellow monsters.

Now for the fellas, the 1920’s gangster costume is always a favorite. You can pull off this John Dillinger-inspired look with a dark pinstripe suit, a white collared shirt and a great pair of loafers. Top it off with a classy fedora. You can also model your mobster outfit after Mr. Tony Soprano. A black, short-sleeved collared shirt, black pants, black loafers, a black leather jacket and a toy cigar will definitely help you achieve the look of this modern racketeer.

For the boys who like to put a little more effort into their costumes, it is time to show off your favorite superhero. You can dress up as a recently celebrated hero like Batman or Spiderman. If you’re into group costumes, the Avengers could be a great idea for you and your pals.

Courtney Odza

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...