Dress to impress this Halloween

It’s that time of year again, folks. Time to bob for apples, carve your spooky jack-o-lanterns and indulge in your favorite treats. On All Hallows’ Eve at the U, students will bring out all the stops to show off their most creative costumes; whether you are looking to pull off a classic character or want to dress up as a TV reality star, there are always tricks to complete your look.

You can never go wrong with the retro sailor. This ‘40s-inspired look with a modern twist can be put together with a great pair of blue high-waisted shorts, a red striped shirt and a white bandana. Add a white sailor hat to top off your old-fashioned get-up. But remember that rain manages to make an appearance every year. Runny mascara and the Grove do not make a great mix. Waterproof mascara is definitely a smart investment. Don’t forget to wear poppy red on your lips to finish up your sailor look.

Disney-themed outfits are always cute for pictures, but there are plenty of new costumes to take advantage of this Halloween, like Katy Perry’s classic “California Gurl.” A blue wig and a Candy Dots dress are always a fun choice. If you’re feeling even more daring, show off your inner Lady Gaga. A risky move? Clearly. But you’ll look fierce. One of her more modest looks is the skin-tight black jumpsuit with the exaggerated shoulder piece and high-heeled boots. That will be a show-stopping outfit for your fellow monsters.

Now for the fellas, the 1920’s gangster costume is always a favorite. You can pull off this John Dillinger-inspired look with a dark pinstripe suit, a white collared shirt and a great pair of loafers. Top it off with a classy fedora. You can also model your mobster outfit after Mr. Tony Soprano. A black, short-sleeved collared shirt, black pants, black loafers, a black leather jacket and a toy cigar will definitely help you achieve the look of this modern racketeer.

For the boys who like to put a little more effort into their costumes, it is time to show off your favorite superhero. You can dress up as a recently celebrated hero like Batman or Spiderman. If you’re into group costumes, the Avengers could be a great idea for you and your pals.

Courtney Odza