Dress to impress this Halloween

It’s that time of year again, folks. Time to bob for apples, carve your spooky jack-o-lanterns and indulge in your favorite treats. On All Hallows’ Eve at the U, students will bring out all the stops to show off their most creative costumes; whether you are looking to pull off a classic character or want to dress up as a TV reality star, there are always tricks to complete your look.

You can never go wrong with the retro sailor. This ‘40s-inspired look with a modern twist can be put together with a great pair of blue high-waisted shorts, a red striped shirt and a white bandana. Add a white sailor hat to top off your old-fashioned get-up. But remember that rain manages to make an appearance every year. Runny mascara and the Grove do not make a great mix. Waterproof mascara is definitely a smart investment. Don’t forget to wear poppy red on your lips to finish up your sailor look.

Disney-themed outfits are always cute for pictures, but there are plenty of new costumes to take advantage of this Halloween, like Katy Perry’s classic “California Gurl.” A blue wig and a Candy Dots dress are always a fun choice. If you’re feeling even more daring, show off your inner Lady Gaga. A risky move? Clearly. But you’ll look fierce. One of her more modest looks is the skin-tight black jumpsuit with the exaggerated shoulder piece and high-heeled boots. That will be a show-stopping outfit for your fellow monsters.

Now for the fellas, the 1920’s gangster costume is always a favorite. You can pull off this John Dillinger-inspired look with a dark pinstripe suit, a white collared shirt and a great pair of loafers. Top it off with a classy fedora. You can also model your mobster outfit after Mr. Tony Soprano. A black, short-sleeved collared shirt, black pants, black loafers, a black leather jacket and a toy cigar will definitely help you achieve the look of this modern racketeer.

For the boys who like to put a little more effort into their costumes, it is time to show off your favorite superhero. You can dress up as a recently celebrated hero like Batman or Spiderman. If you’re into group costumes, the Avengers could be a great idea for you and your pals.

Courtney Odza

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...