Football, Sports

Running back Eduardo Clements out for season with injury

The Hurricanes had hoped to use the bye week to recover and rest up for the final four games of the regular season.

Not all went according to plan.

The team announced on Saturday morning that junior running back Eduardo Clements will miss the remainder of the season with an undisclosed injury. Though the exact nature of the injury was not revealed, it was one that Clements suffered last week against Florida State.

Though he will not return to the field this year, head coach Al Golden remains optimistic that Clements will make a full recovery and hopefully be ready to return in the spring.

“I feel really badly for Eduardo. He’s a heart and soul kid,” Golden said following practice on Saturday. “We’ll miss his toughness and his leadership, but he has to stay positive.”

Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch shared similar sentiments, while mentioning that the other running backs will have to step up in his absence.

“It’s disappointing for him. Injuries are personal and I feel bad for [Clements],” he said. “Obviously it’s disappointing for the team because he was such a valuable part of our third downs, a valuable part of our program, and he’s a great leader.”

At the moment only senior Mike James and freshman Duke Johnson are listed on the depth chart at running back, but both Golden and Fisch confirmed that redshirt freshman Dallas Crawford will be listed as the third-string back.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...