Wellness Center trainers create constructive regimens for all clients

For some people, working out is easy. For others, they sometimes need that little push to get them on the right path to their fitness goals. At the Wellness Center, those pushers are called personal trainers.

Sometimes they may seem like the enemy, pushing people to do things they don’t think they can. But no matter what you may think of them, their goal is to help their clients.

“I have been a personal trainer since 2009,” said Andrew Marsh, a second-year graduate student in exercise and physiology. “It’s one of the most rewarding things in the world to help people achieve their fitness and athletic goals.”

According to Wellness Center Assistant Director Dominique Ennis, personal trainers are usually students seeking degrees in exercise science, athletic training, physical therapy or some other health science-related field.

“I want to make sure that the person in a personal training position is a good fit for the department and really understands our mission and what we are here to do,” said Ennis, who supervises the trainers.

Their mission is to foster a lifestyle of responsible choices supporting the mind, the body, and the spirit in educational, wellness, and recreational programs through services and facilities for the UMcommunity.

It is up to the students to get certified if they wish to apply for a personal trainer position at the Wellness Center. Certification exams range from $300 to $500 and they must have one of the following through the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in order to be considered: National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or American Council on Exercise (ACE).

Once they are hired at the center, each trainer designs his or her own program for every client. Sessions last one hour and the Wellness Center offers packages starting at $30 an hour for students and $38 for faculty and staff.

“The workout I select for a client is based on a huge variety of factors that are covered in our initial consultation,” Marsh said. “Their workout depends on what their goals are, how much experience they have, their medical history, and how many days per week they can exercise.”

According to some trainers, they get a lot more out of the experience than just a paycheck.

“Being able to work here at the Wellness Center is great,” said Phil Coblentz, a second-year graduate student in the clinical exercise and physiology. ”Having flexible hours helps me put to practice what I learned in the classroom into a real-life setting,”

He said it’s great to see his clients showing improvement from the workouts he devises for them.

“Everyone can benefit from having a personal trainer,” Coblenz said. “I had a guy come in about four months ago and lost 20 pounds with me. He moves so much more smoothly even when he’s coming up a flight of stairs.

“Whatever you do, you get to see that your work and their work pays off.”

Giselle Espinales

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...