Cuban-American artist to give presentation at Lowe

On Oct. 25, award-winning Cuban-American artist Luis Cruz Azaceta will visit UM to give a presentation covering the span of his work over the last four decades.

The artist is known for his reoccurring theme of rediscovering his Cuban identity through brightly colored masterpieces. At times he has also used mixed media in the form of both sculpture or a work bordered by a frame.

Azaceta was born in Cuba, but immigrated to the United States at 18. He found a number of factory jobs in New York City in the 1960s, before discovering his talent and enrolling in the The School of Visual Arts. From there, he rose to prominence, parlaying the shifting identity of a newly relocated immigrant and the integration of both new and old, in his art. He says that being an artist allows him “the freedom to express [himself]and communicate through [his]art about our human condition.”

Azaceta has had his work showcased all around the world, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to the Pan American Art Projects in Miami. The Lowe Art Museum has been lucky enough to have acquired a few of his pieces in the permanent collection, one of which is currently on display.

Throughout the presentation, he will discuss “very early works up to the most recent works and will talk about [his]experiences and journey through the art world,” he said.

He might even mention one of his favorite series, the “Subway Series.”

“This was a very early series of works that opened doors for me to be represented in an important gallery in New York City,” Azaceta said.

However, he also holds his most recent work in high regard.

“New work challenges me to learn new things in the process,” he said.

Yet Azaceta does not work in a vacuum and is eager to share advice with the next generation.

“Work hard and follow your instincts. Pay attention to your inner voice and your surroundings – this will help you formulate what you want to say through your art,” the artist said.

The special presentation is co-sponsored by the Lowe Art Museum and “Taking Flight: The Year of Humanities and Art at the University of Miami,” and is free for UM students and Lowe members. There is a $10 fee for non-members.

The presentation will take place at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium at UM’s School of Business. After the presentation, there will be a reception in the lobby of the Lowe Art Museum until 9:30 p.m.

Marchesa Bergman

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...