Team prepares freshmen, experienced leader for season

Practice, practice and practice were the points of contention coach Patti Rizzo focused on before the women’s golf team traveled to Knoxville, Tenn. for the 16th Annual Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship.

Following their 12th place finish in a field of 16 teams, the Canes have a lot to work on.

“It’s difficult to keep up to speed with them, after this tournament for our fall offseason we are only allowed eight hours a week with players ‘til January,” Rizzo said.

Other than the eight hours a week given by the NCAA on the offseason, the players must practice on their own.

“This is an important tournament to help the younger players get their feet settled before the long break,” Rizzo said.

Practice began hard and early the week prior at Deering Bay Country Club. The theme for the day was setting a competitive edge to get the freshmen going.

“We have the girls doing match play to put the older girls up against the freshmen. It’ll really get them ready for tournaments going forward,” Rizzo said

With fresh rain on the fairway, it was a challenging day of preparation ahead of the tournament.

“It’s hard to practice after it rains, it just makes it difficult to judge the speed of the ball, but it’s going to help us be more aware for this tournament,” sophomore Leticia Ras-Anderica said. “We just have to keep practicing to get better.”

The young squad was only able to place one player in the top 25. Rika Park placed 21st at four over par, while shooting a team-low 73 on the weekend.

Freshman Laura Hendee finished 11 over and was closely followed by Christina Ocampo, also a freshman, who finished 12 over on the weekend.

The real story was the return of the team’s most senior member, Carina Cuculiza. Although she finished as an individual in the tournament at plus-17, it was an important weekend for her.

Having come off a knee injury it was a welcome back tournament for the returning junior.

“It feels good to be back playing and loosen myself up. I just want to play,” she said.

Rizzo was more than optimistic to have her experienced player back on the course.

“She’s a good putter and a consistent player,” Rizzo said. “It’s going to be great to have her back in the squad, but we just have to watch that knee.”

In tournaments prior to this one, Cuculiza was able to finish third overall on the team at the UNCG Starmount Forest Tournament from Greensboro, N.C.

With a healthy roster of players to throw into contention, Rizzo and the Canes have a long break ahead to mold themselves into the rankings before they kick off their spring season.

It’ll be familiar grounds for the women as they return at the Hurricane Invitational at Deering Bay Estates on Feb. 4 and Feb. 5.

Andy Leon

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...