Team prepares freshmen, experienced leader for season

Practice, practice and practice were the points of contention coach Patti Rizzo focused on before the women’s golf team traveled to Knoxville, Tenn. for the 16th Annual Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship.

Following their 12th place finish in a field of 16 teams, the Canes have a lot to work on.

“It’s difficult to keep up to speed with them, after this tournament for our fall offseason we are only allowed eight hours a week with players ‘til January,” Rizzo said.

Other than the eight hours a week given by the NCAA on the offseason, the players must practice on their own.

“This is an important tournament to help the younger players get their feet settled before the long break,” Rizzo said.

Practice began hard and early the week prior at Deering Bay Country Club. The theme for the day was setting a competitive edge to get the freshmen going.

“We have the girls doing match play to put the older girls up against the freshmen. It’ll really get them ready for tournaments going forward,” Rizzo said

With fresh rain on the fairway, it was a challenging day of preparation ahead of the tournament.

“It’s hard to practice after it rains, it just makes it difficult to judge the speed of the ball, but it’s going to help us be more aware for this tournament,” sophomore Leticia Ras-Anderica said. “We just have to keep practicing to get better.”

The young squad was only able to place one player in the top 25. Rika Park placed 21st at four over par, while shooting a team-low 73 on the weekend.

Freshman Laura Hendee finished 11 over and was closely followed by Christina Ocampo, also a freshman, who finished 12 over on the weekend.

The real story was the return of the team’s most senior member, Carina Cuculiza. Although she finished as an individual in the tournament at plus-17, it was an important weekend for her.

Having come off a knee injury it was a welcome back tournament for the returning junior.

“It feels good to be back playing and loosen myself up. I just want to play,” she said.

Rizzo was more than optimistic to have her experienced player back on the course.

“She’s a good putter and a consistent player,” Rizzo said. “It’s going to be great to have her back in the squad, but we just have to watch that knee.”

In tournaments prior to this one, Cuculiza was able to finish third overall on the team at the UNCG Starmount Forest Tournament from Greensboro, N.C.

With a healthy roster of players to throw into contention, Rizzo and the Canes have a long break ahead to mold themselves into the rankings before they kick off their spring season.

It’ll be familiar grounds for the women as they return at the Hurricane Invitational at Deering Bay Estates on Feb. 4 and Feb. 5.

Andy Leon

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...