Strong faith does not always impact college experience

Being a  Christian in college is hard, but not impossible.

When I came to college last year I gave my life back to Christ and the subsequent responses from some of my peers were interesting, to say the least.

The one response that stuck out to me the most was, “How can you be so smart and still believe in God?”

That really threw me off because I think there is a place for both faith and intellect.

Sometimes students feel that when they’re in college they have to downplay or hide their faith altogether because colleges have the reputation of promoting reason above all.

Anything that cannot be proved by a formula or other data is dismissed as stuff of legend, myth or just a really good story.

There is nothing wrong with being an intellectual, but it is possible to succeed academically and graduate with your faith intact.

There are numerous Christian groups on campus, and churches around UM to accommodate students from various denominations.

These churches and student organizations can provide a support base and help you to create lasting friendships with like-minded people.

In Miami, walking by faith and living your life according to the word may not be the most popular decision, but part of keeping your faith while in school is the willingness to dare to be different.

I have gotten numerous event invites that I have turned down because I was going to be at church or doing something church-related.

I don’t regret it, because I don’t feel as though I’m missing out.

I would be lying if I said it was always easy, but it is possible to have the best of both worlds – a top notch education and a personal and sincere relationship with God.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...