Strong faith does not always impact college experience

Being a  Christian in college is hard, but not impossible.

When I came to college last year I gave my life back to Christ and the subsequent responses from some of my peers were interesting, to say the least.

The one response that stuck out to me the most was, “How can you be so smart and still believe in God?”

That really threw me off because I think there is a place for both faith and intellect.

Sometimes students feel that when they’re in college they have to downplay or hide their faith altogether because colleges have the reputation of promoting reason above all.

Anything that cannot be proved by a formula or other data is dismissed as stuff of legend, myth or just a really good story.

There is nothing wrong with being an intellectual, but it is possible to succeed academically and graduate with your faith intact.

There are numerous Christian groups on campus, and churches around UM to accommodate students from various denominations.

These churches and student organizations can provide a support base and help you to create lasting friendships with like-minded people.

In Miami, walking by faith and living your life according to the word may not be the most popular decision, but part of keeping your faith while in school is the willingness to dare to be different.

I have gotten numerous event invites that I have turned down because I was going to be at church or doing something church-related.

I don’t regret it, because I don’t feel as though I’m missing out.

I would be lying if I said it was always easy, but it is possible to have the best of both worlds – a top notch education and a personal and sincere relationship with God.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...