Strong faith does not always impact college experience

Being a  Christian in college is hard, but not impossible.

When I came to college last year I gave my life back to Christ and the subsequent responses from some of my peers were interesting, to say the least.

The one response that stuck out to me the most was, “How can you be so smart and still believe in God?”

That really threw me off because I think there is a place for both faith and intellect.

Sometimes students feel that when they’re in college they have to downplay or hide their faith altogether because colleges have the reputation of promoting reason above all.

Anything that cannot be proved by a formula or other data is dismissed as stuff of legend, myth or just a really good story.

There is nothing wrong with being an intellectual, but it is possible to succeed academically and graduate with your faith intact.

There are numerous Christian groups on campus, and churches around UM to accommodate students from various denominations.

These churches and student organizations can provide a support base and help you to create lasting friendships with like-minded people.

In Miami, walking by faith and living your life according to the word may not be the most popular decision, but part of keeping your faith while in school is the willingness to dare to be different.

I have gotten numerous event invites that I have turned down because I was going to be at church or doing something church-related.

I don’t regret it, because I don’t feel as though I’m missing out.

I would be lying if I said it was always easy, but it is possible to have the best of both worlds – a top notch education and a personal and sincere relationship with God.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...