Six days of Ultra essentially a death wish

When Ultra Music Festival organizers announced that, for the first time in history, the annual EDM festival would span two weekends, many people rejoiced – specifically my entire newsfeed, South Florida’s drug dealers and anyone with stock in American Apparel.

I, on the other hand, found myself at grips with a near-fatal panic attack. Six days?! What kind of sociopath came up with this and why do they have to ruin everything that is good in this world?

We all want to relive Ultra after it ends, but do we need to literally? Maybe it’s the post-traumatic stress disorder from being trampled last year at Skrillex’s set talking, but six days can’t be mistaken for anything besides a death wish.

I barely climbed out from under the rubble of day three last year, and now they expected six days out of me. Based on my calculations, that would be approximately 72 hours not spent in the confines of my safe bed watching TLC.

My gluteal muscles would never forgive me, nor would my bank account. I already need to place a call to Zurich to move some money around to afford one weekend. To buy tickets for two weekends, I’ll probably need to refinance my house.

I know it’s easy to forget about the aftermath of Ultra when you’ve been brainwashed by watching Armin Van Buren’s set for the 897th time since leaving Bayfront Park, but does no one remember the arduous recovery period?

How about the waits at the health center? Or how your GPA hardly survived its nosedive in the week after? Two weeks could destroy you and everything you love.

There is the option of only going one weekend, but that would be completely irresponsible. Not only would deciding on a weekend be the equivalent of Sophie’s choice, but I could die of FOMO (fear of missing out). I wouldn’t want my roommate to have to find my lifeless body clutching my phone still lit with an Instagram photo of the main stage.

So I beg of you, UMF organizers, please stop this madness before the city of Miami burns to the ground. I know your heart was in the right place, but this is a crime against humanity.

Jackie Salo is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

About Author

Jackie Salo

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...