UM dean of libraries to step down next spring

UM President Donna E. Shalala announced Friday morning that Bill Walker, the dean of libraries, will step down from his post at the end of the spring semester.

Walker has been with the university since 2003. He currently oversees Richter Library, the Weeks Music Library, and the Newman Information Resource Center. According to Shalala’s statement, Walker was responsible for improving UM’s library system by introducing new technologies and expanding the libraries’ collections.

“He has also been a wonderful citizen of our community,” read a statement issued by Shalala Friday.

Walker’s last day will be May 31, 2013. A committee is currently being assembled to appoint his replacement, who will begin work on June 1, 2013.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...