UM dean of libraries to step down next spring

UM President Donna E. Shalala announced Friday morning that Bill Walker, the dean of libraries, will step down from his post at the end of the spring semester.

Walker has been with the university since 2003. He currently oversees Richter Library, the Weeks Music Library, and the Newman Information Resource Center. According to Shalala’s statement, Walker was responsible for improving UM’s library system by introducing new technologies and expanding the libraries’ collections.

“He has also been a wonderful citizen of our community,” read a statement issued by Shalala Friday.

Walker’s last day will be May 31, 2013. A committee is currently being assembled to appoint his replacement, who will begin work on June 1, 2013.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...