Staff Editorial 10/18: Students must help eradicate unjust policies

To Chartwells, Betty Asbury was just a worker. But to University of Miami students, she is more than that.

Known to most as “Miss Betty,” Asbury spent two years swiping Cane Cards at the Hecht/Stanford Dining Hall. Students respected her. Students cared for her. Chartwells fired her.

On Oct. 9, Miss Betty was working as usual when a man walked into the dining hall without paying. He didn’t eat. He just needed to use the restroom.

On a normal day, this wouldn’t have been such an issue. But this time, a manager witnessed the incident, and Miss Betty didn’t stop the man from walking through. Because of this slip up, she was terminated the next day.

Although letting any individual into the dining hall without paying is not allowed, it was an honest mistake – and Miss Betty’s first misstep on the job.

In August, Chartwells gave Miss Betty a raise for her superior evaluation results and work ethic, but that wasn’t on Chartwells’ mind when the company fired her. It wasn’t even considered when Miss Betty tried to appeal the decision. The Chartwells resident district manager gave her a definitive “no.”

When students heard Miss Betty would no longer be greeting them before each meal, many were enraged. One student started a petition and, as of now, it has more than 1,000 signatures.

Chartwells was technically allowed to fire Miss Betty because their workers are “at-will employees.” This means they can be fired at any time, without any notice.

However, in 2007, former Vice President for Business Services Alan Fish set a precedent: Chartwells employees must be given three warnings before being terminated.

In Miss Betty’s case, she didn’t even receive one.

Though this precedent wasn’t set in stone, UM’s core values should reflect it. The university prides itself on treating everyone justly, but Miss Betty was an exception to this moral standard. Being fired for such a dismal reason may be justified to Chartwells, but that doesn’t make it fair.

Miss Betty needs our support and we’re here to give it to her. Students, you can too. Even if Chartwells doesn’t reinstate her, although they have done so for other employees in the past, organizing for Miss Betty is an action that is worth more than words.

Chartwells can fire her, but students will continue to stand behind her.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 10/18: Students must help eradicate unjust policies”

1. Carmen says:

This is great. I’m SO happy to see that my peers also care about their community and the well-being of all those in it. Well done, and thank you so much for this editorial!

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...