Don’t make excuses, reach for the stars

Last week, a man jumped from a capsule in the stratosphere, landed on his feet and then knelt on the ground after taking the risk of a lifetime.

Even though the sky hasn’t been the limit since Yuri Gagarin was the first man to enter space in 1961, the vast amount of opportunities available for everyone seem to be shrouded by fear.

Felix Baumgartner, the Austrian who took the jump, can take the leap from the stratosphere and break the sound barrier without knowing what health risks he’d face, or if he’d even land on the planet with his brain intact. If he can do that, then you can get up and face the future, fully equipped with your dreams and a plan to reach them.

And, if a man jumping from the stratosphere doesn’t motivate you, then pinch yourself because you’re probably dead.

Baumgartner’s jump from space demonstrates the numerous abilities and opportunities humans have at their disposal, some of which they have yet to discover. Today, companies are sponsoring people to reach their dreams and unearth unknowns, in the same fashion countries sponsored explorers in the 15th century. So, if you’re lacking financial support for your dreams, make like Christopher Columbus and find yourself a king and queen of Spain ­– or, walk to Toppel Career Center. Apply for a prestigious scholarship. Don’t let anything stop you, make no excuses and keep working until you reach your goal.

Baumgartner reached for the stars. You should, too.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...