Canes for Obama leader rallies students, dines with president

Junior Emily Young assists with ticketing as thousands line the streets before President Barack Obama’s rally last Thursday. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor 

Emily Young will always remember where she ate lunch on Sept. 20. But it’s not the meal that stands out, it’s the company.  Young sat down at OMG! Burgers with President Barack Obama.

She is a campus team leader for Canes for Obama and Organizing for America, which supports his legislative agenda. Young built a core team of volunteers with different jobs, oversees how it runs and fixes any problems that arise.

Through her affiliation with those organizations, she was one of two UM students who were invited to eat with Obama after he appeared on a Univision-sponsored show in the Fieldhouse. She recalled being screened twice by the Obama campaign for reasons she did not understand at the time.

Originally from Jacksonville, Young decided to attend UM because she sought an internationally-recognized university with a competitive sports program, small class sizes and a top academic curriculum.

The 20 year-old is a junior studying public relations and political science with aspirations to become a campaign manager someday.

“Public relations and political science are going to work together and will hopefully help me achieve my goals,” Young said.

Young has been interested in politics from an early age. The earliest presidential contest she can remember was the 2000 election, in which Florida played a decisive role in helping Republican George W. Bush defeat Democrat Al Gore. Although she was only 8 at the time,  Young wanted to know why her friends and family liked one candidate more than the other, which sparked her interest in politics.

In addition to the Democratic organizations, Young is active in several campus groups, including the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.

“I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself,” Young said.

Sophomore Peri Diamond is Young’s “little sister” in ZTA and looks up to her as a role model.

“She takes on so much responsibility and handles everything with poise,” Diamond said. “She always keeps her  cool.”

Young is also a member of  the President’s 100 and is a fitness supervisor at the Wellness Center.

“She is constantly taking on new responsibilities and earning the respect of her peers and superiors, which are some of the reasons why I admire her,” said UM graduate Andrew Blumenthal, a close friend of Young’s.

Young said her hectic schedule gets to her sometimes. But after talking to Obama, she said she doesn’t have it so bad.

“Seeing how hard he works for an entire country made me realize that some things that I stress about are nothing in comparison,” Young said.

Camille Brown

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...