Sports, Uncategorized

Sports briefs 10-15

Volleyball

The Canes volleyball team extended its winning streak to six with a 3-2 win over Boston College in Massachusetts. Junior Alex Johnson set the tone with 16 kills and 17 digs, and senior setter Nrithya Sundararaman came up with 47 assists and 10 digs to lead the Canes to the victory. The win keeps the Canes, who are ranked No. 15 in the nation, tied atop the ACC with Florida State. The team will stay on the road next weekend as they take on Clemson next Friday night, and Georgia Tech on Sunday.

Swimming & Diving

The Hurricanes swimming and diving team bounced back from a tough road loss with a win over the Houston Cougars at the UC pool on Saturday afternoon. The Canes got off to a quick start in the 200 Medley Relay and never trailed at any point during the meet. The team returns to the pool on Friday, to take on Florida State.

Soccer

Miami’s women’s soccer team fought its way into a tie with the No.19-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies on Sunday afternoon. The game ended in a scoreless draw after both teams were unable to score through two overtime periods.

Miami is now 7-6-2 overall on the season, including 2-4-1 in the ACC. The team honored former Hurricane goalie Austen Everett during the game, who passed away in August after a battle with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The team returns to the pitch on Thursday, as they face off against No. 8 University of Maryland.

Golf

The Hurricanes golf team placed 12th overall in the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship to end the fall portion of its season on Sunday afternoon. The team will return to the golf course beginning in February, as they get ready for the Hurricane Invitational at the Deering Bay Yacht & Country Club to open the spring season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...