QuantUM brings ‘Charlie Brown’ to life with music students at the helm

This fall, the popular downhearted “Peanuts” star Charlie Brown is coming to campus. All blockheads, makeshift psychologists and irritating baby siblings are invited.

The musical “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown” will be the first of QuantUM Entertainment’s performing series, debuting Nov. 8. An advisory board under the Hurricane Productions umbrella, QuantUM is in charge of student-run performing arts events at the university.

In addition to “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” the board also plans to team up with the Cinematic Arts Commission later this month for the annual production of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

The club offers students of all majors the opportunity to participate in authentic productions, equipped with live accompaniment, custom sets and costumes.

Senior Jason Mulligan, a music composition major, is looking forward to his first directing gig.

“I have been involved in theater for 12 years now, but this will be my first time directing,” Mulligan said. “I knew that they needed someone to direct for the fall and ‘Charlie Brown’ was a perfect choice for me to get my feet wet. It’s a simple show tech-wise, but it has a great message.”

Justin Moniz, a second-year vocal performance graduate student, is also excited for his role as musical director.

“I spoke to Jason about being musical director since I wanted a chance to do it at school,” Moniz said. “I had directed before professionally, but this is a whole different experience and I’m definitely having a blast throughout this whole process.”

However, this year the club is looking to broaden its scope by not only offering theater opportunities, but also other performance options.

“We are trying to make it bigger and better than it’s ever been,” QuantUM president Jeremy Weidmaier said. “Last year we had a belly dance workshop, and we’re hoping to bring that back along with other dance and recital-type things. We were even thinking of incorporating a ‘playwrite-off,’ but everything is still in planning.”

QuantUM has previously required show proposals to be submitted as a directing project. They are currently reworking this system so they are no longer limited to directorial proposals. Any idea is welcome, Weidmaier said. To make a proposal or for more information, email him at j.weidmaier@umiami.edu

“We encourage people of all majors and backgrounds to participate because if I thought I needed theater experience to work with QuantUM, then I wouldn’t be where I am now,” Weidmaier said. “I am a music engineering major, and I’d always been interested in theater. But when I first got involved, I thought I’d maybe do sound for a show or stage manage; I never imagined I’d end up president.”

If You Go
WHAT: “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown“
WHEN:  Nov. 8 at 8 p.m.; Nov. 10 (time TBA); Nov. 11 at 2 and 8 p.m.
WHERE: Hillel
Ticket free with Cane Card

About Author

Erika Glass Multimedia Editor

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...