QuantUM brings ‘Charlie Brown’ to life with music students at the helm

This fall, the popular downhearted “Peanuts” star Charlie Brown is coming to campus. All blockheads, makeshift psychologists and irritating baby siblings are invited.

The musical “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown” will be the first of QuantUM Entertainment’s performing series, debuting Nov. 8. An advisory board under the Hurricane Productions umbrella, QuantUM is in charge of student-run performing arts events at the university.

In addition to “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” the board also plans to team up with the Cinematic Arts Commission later this month for the annual production of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

The club offers students of all majors the opportunity to participate in authentic productions, equipped with live accompaniment, custom sets and costumes.

Senior Jason Mulligan, a music composition major, is looking forward to his first directing gig.

“I have been involved in theater for 12 years now, but this will be my first time directing,” Mulligan said. “I knew that they needed someone to direct for the fall and ‘Charlie Brown’ was a perfect choice for me to get my feet wet. It’s a simple show tech-wise, but it has a great message.”

Justin Moniz, a second-year vocal performance graduate student, is also excited for his role as musical director.

“I spoke to Jason about being musical director since I wanted a chance to do it at school,” Moniz said. “I had directed before professionally, but this is a whole different experience and I’m definitely having a blast throughout this whole process.”

However, this year the club is looking to broaden its scope by not only offering theater opportunities, but also other performance options.

“We are trying to make it bigger and better than it’s ever been,” QuantUM president Jeremy Weidmaier said. “Last year we had a belly dance workshop, and we’re hoping to bring that back along with other dance and recital-type things. We were even thinking of incorporating a ‘playwrite-off,’ but everything is still in planning.”

QuantUM has previously required show proposals to be submitted as a directing project. They are currently reworking this system so they are no longer limited to directorial proposals. Any idea is welcome, Weidmaier said. To make a proposal or for more information, email him at j.weidmaier@umiami.edu

“We encourage people of all majors and backgrounds to participate because if I thought I needed theater experience to work with QuantUM, then I wouldn’t be where I am now,” Weidmaier said. “I am a music engineering major, and I’d always been interested in theater. But when I first got involved, I thought I’d maybe do sound for a show or stage manage; I never imagined I’d end up president.”

If You Go
WHAT: “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown“
WHEN:  Nov. 8 at 8 p.m.; Nov. 10 (time TBA); Nov. 11 at 2 and 8 p.m.
WHERE: Hillel
Ticket free with Cane Card

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...