QuantUM brings ‘Charlie Brown’ to life with music students at the helm

This fall, the popular downhearted “Peanuts” star Charlie Brown is coming to campus. All blockheads, makeshift psychologists and irritating baby siblings are invited.

The musical “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown” will be the first of QuantUM Entertainment’s performing series, debuting Nov. 8. An advisory board under the Hurricane Productions umbrella, QuantUM is in charge of student-run performing arts events at the university.

In addition to “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” the board also plans to team up with the Cinematic Arts Commission later this month for the annual production of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

The club offers students of all majors the opportunity to participate in authentic productions, equipped with live accompaniment, custom sets and costumes.

Senior Jason Mulligan, a music composition major, is looking forward to his first directing gig.

“I have been involved in theater for 12 years now, but this will be my first time directing,” Mulligan said. “I knew that they needed someone to direct for the fall and ‘Charlie Brown’ was a perfect choice for me to get my feet wet. It’s a simple show tech-wise, but it has a great message.”

Justin Moniz, a second-year vocal performance graduate student, is also excited for his role as musical director.

“I spoke to Jason about being musical director since I wanted a chance to do it at school,” Moniz said. “I had directed before professionally, but this is a whole different experience and I’m definitely having a blast throughout this whole process.”

However, this year the club is looking to broaden its scope by not only offering theater opportunities, but also other performance options.

“We are trying to make it bigger and better than it’s ever been,” QuantUM president Jeremy Weidmaier said. “Last year we had a belly dance workshop, and we’re hoping to bring that back along with other dance and recital-type things. We were even thinking of incorporating a ‘playwrite-off,’ but everything is still in planning.”

QuantUM has previously required show proposals to be submitted as a directing project. They are currently reworking this system so they are no longer limited to directorial proposals. Any idea is welcome, Weidmaier said. To make a proposal or for more information, email him at j.weidmaier@umiami.edu

“We encourage people of all majors and backgrounds to participate because if I thought I needed theater experience to work with QuantUM, then I wouldn’t be where I am now,” Weidmaier said. “I am a music engineering major, and I’d always been interested in theater. But when I first got involved, I thought I’d maybe do sound for a show or stage manage; I never imagined I’d end up president.”

If You Go
WHAT: “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown“
WHEN:  Nov. 8 at 8 p.m.; Nov. 10 (time TBA); Nov. 11 at 2 and 8 p.m.
WHERE: Hillel
Ticket free with Cane Card

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...