‘Put it down’ campaign to address texting while driving epidemic

Last year, senior Julian Malagon was the victim of a hit and run on U.S. 1 that left him with a broken nose, stitches above his left eye and two sprained ankles. Two months ago his car was totaled when a student ran a flashing red light at the intersection of Miller Drive and Red Road.

In the instances, both drivers were looking at their cellphones.

In order to raise awareness on texting and driving, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the University of Miami, with the aid of other partners, will be holding an outreach event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 24 on the Rock.

The event will be held as part of the “Put it Down” campaign to educate students about the dangers of distracted driving.

“Nobody ever thinks that sending a text could end with a catastrophic result,” said Tara Kirschner, the executive director of the Dori Slosberg Foundation, one of FDOT’s partners. “Again and again, we are finding that it does.”

Distracted driving does not solely refer to cellphone use. According to Carlos Sarmiento, the community traffic safety program coordinator for FDOT District 6, it includes anything that takes your hands or mind off the road – putting on makeup, eating, changing the radio station or even engaging in conversation with passengers.

“You can get so caught up in those actions, but it takes a fraction of a second to put someone in danger,” Sarmiento said.

The campaign, which began on Labor Day and runs through the end of October, targets those between the ages of 16 and 24. It is part of a national effort by the U.S. Department of Transportation to end distracted driving, which Distraction.gov, the official government website, refers to as an “epidemic.”

“All my friends text,” senior Erik Akre said. “It’s not like any of them would say, ‘Hey, I’m driving, I can’t text you back.’”

Some UM students admitted they use their cell phones while driving despite thinking it’s dangerous.

“It’s bad,” said freshman communications major Kenia Vasallo. “Everyone does it. It’s a big deal because you never know what’s going to happen.”

Although Florida is one of few states with no cellphone driving laws, those involved in the campaign hope statistics from the USDOT will offer other reasons to “put it down.”

According to Sarmiento, the mutilated car on one of the campaign posters is from a fatal wreck in which a young man swerved into the lane of oncoming traffic while texting and collided with a semi-truck.

“For the most part, I don’t think people will get it until it happens to them, or someone they’re close to. It’s unfortunate,” Malagon said.

The UM event will feature the UM Police Department, the Department of Parking and Transportation, the Association of Commuter Students and many more.

Students will have the opportunity to visit promotional booths, speak with law enforcement officers and try driving simulators provided by the American Automobile Association.

They will also walk away with some free items and potentially life-saving knowledge.

“I want as many students as possible to come out and take advantage of these resources,” Kirschner said.

Students will also be able to take a pledge saying they will not text and drive. Until then, Sarmiento has a message for students: “If you start with yourself, it can trickle down to others and everyone can do the right thing.”

Rianna Hidalgo

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “‘Put it down’ campaign to address texting while driving epidemic”

1. Erik Wood says:

I think this effort will help these young drivers (and hopefully the adults as well) get the message. It has to start with the end user, the driver…deciding not to partake in distracted driving and this will help drive that message home.

I also decided to do something about distracted driving after my three year old daughter was nearly run down right in front of me by a texting driver. Instead of a shackle that locks down phones and alienates the user (especially teens) I built a tool for teens and their parents called OTTER that is a simple, GPS based, texting auto reply app for smartphones. It also silences call ringtones while driving unless you have a bluetooth enabled. I think if we can empower the individual then change will come to our highways now and not just our laws.

Erik Wood, owner
    OTTER app
    do one thing well… be great.

2. Peter T. says:

When did Americans become so stupid that there actually needs to be an law that tells people that they should not send or read texts on their cell phones while they are driving? Seriously? It’s actually not intuitive to a significant amount of non-mentally challenged Americans that they should not look at or try to type on their cell phones when they are driving 65+ miles per hour down a highway? There actually are people who don’t get that?

Well, I guess that explains why Americans were stupid enough to elect George W. Bush in to office not just once, but twice. This pretty much explains why so many Americans – who couldn’t saw their homes get foreclosed they couldn’t figure out what a simple floating rate mortgage is. This is why Mitt Romney will probably be elected President, even though he wants to completely deregulate Wall Street (you know, the move that led directly to the financial crisis and ensuing bailout?)

The entire Occupy Wall Street movement was a waste of time. The reason why 1% of the country’s population owns 99% of the country’s wealth is pretty clear. 99% of the country is simply stupid.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...