News Briefs – 10/14

Course offerings

The course offerings for spring 2013 will be available to students beginning on Monday. Students can search for classes online using myUM. Registration appointments will be available on myUM Oct. 22. Registration will begin on Nov. 5.

Also, the last day to drop a class this semester is Oct. 25.

Dream career

Representatives from Dream Careers will be hosting information sessions as well as meeting with students for individual appointments on Monday. Dream Careers is an all-inclusive program that offers guaranteed internships in PR, advertising, film, television, marketing, radio, fashion and other fields in major cities around the world, including: New York, London, Los Angeles and Barcelona. The first information session is held at 11 a.m. in UC 241, and the second is at 1 p.m. in CIB 5063.

Open mic night

The USpeak Open Verse and Short Story Performance Series is hosting a reading by MFA and undergraduate alumni of the Creative Writing Program at 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Oasis Deli in the UC. The event will be emceed by Zach Hickman, managing editor of the Mangrove Literary Journal. USpeak will also spotlight audience members who share a page of their writing during USpeak’s Open Mic segments. Sign up begins when doors open at 7:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit miami.edu/uspeak.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...