Tips to stay fashion forward this fall

As tempted as you may be to wear yoga pants, an oversized T-shirt and a ponytail to school every day – even though you know you can’t possibly squeeze a workout into your hectic schedule – try to resist the urge and channel your inner fashion goddess instead. With these top tips, save the sweats and the ponytails for Fridays –  a la “Mean Girls” – and finally take a step toward true fall fashion.

Colored denim

Remember how pastels were all the rage this summer? Even though trees in Florida don’t shed their leaves, make like the leaves and trade tones … trouser tones, that is. It’s time to swap swatches and pair jewel-toned jeans with neutral-colored tees. Don’t have the budget to splurge on new denim? Don’t worry. Pair your aqua or pink pastel bottoms with colors like blacks and camels for an update on this trend. Be weary of the tinted trousers you select though – remember not to wear bright reds if your hips don’t lie, and if you have to think twice about the color you choose, it’s best to just pick out another outfit. Jewel-toned jeans include sapphire, burgundy or emerald, and can be found in trendy spots like Zara, Nordstrom or Forever 21.

Bangles and chunky bracelets

In the wise words of the Man Repeller, the all-knowing fashion blogger of the decade, it’s always the right time to host an arm party. This season, it’s all about making sure your guests get along – that is, pairing the gold chunky bracelet with the thin gold bracelet. You can also mix and match, and feel free to be adventurous with your choices. Just be careful about wearing several friendship bracelets with, let’s say, a Michele watch. That just doesn’t look right.

Visit manrepeller.com for more ideas on how to get your arm party started.

Headbands and bandanas

The headband, known as the tiara for the urban princess, is a classic go-to pick for a bad (or good) hair day. Have a case of irreparable bed head? Put your best headband on and tie your hair into a loose chignon. Didn’t have time to wash your hair because you were up studying for your test? Pair your tresses in distress with a playful bandana – you can be sure to ace your exam if you put your best head (or hairstyle) forward.

Braids 

Not everyone is cut out to wear tiaras every day, so if headbands or bandanas aren’t your thing, because they give you headaches or don’t compliment your face or “look,” try braiding your hair. Try a classic braid, or, if you’re feeling trendy, try weaving a fish-tail braid. Rusty on your braiding skills? YouTube has several how-to tutorials that will sharpen your skills and help you brush up on your braiding technique.

Buns

Pay hommage to your days as a ballet dancer and sport your best high bun. The high bun can be worn loosely or tightly (think back to your days as a dancer), and can complement jewel-toned jeans and your neutral T-shirt. Be sure to wear the bun tightly if it’s been a while since your last shampoo, and wear it loosely if you have clean hair.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...