News Briefs – 10/11

Parking Changes

Students and faculty should be prepared for lot closures and traffic delays on Thursday in light of President Barack Obama’s visit to the BankUnited Center (BUC) for a grassroots campaign event. Allow extra time to commute to and from campus. Additional shuttles will be serving both routes to assist with transportation.

For security reasons, there will be a 20- to 30-minute service interruption for the Metrorail some time between 2 and 6 p.m., so plan accordingly. Additionally, Walsh Avenue, the street in front of the BUC, will be closed from 5 p.m. Wednesday through 11 p.m. Thursday. Anyone who tries to drive on this street when the security gates on Merrick Drive and Dickinson Drive are closed will be directed through the parking lot.

Yellow zone permit holders should note that yellow lots immediately surrounding the BUC will be closed. However, in addition to the smaller surrounding yellow lots, other locations have been designated as temporary yellow zones and will remain open. The grassy areas next to the Lowe Art Museum and behind Pavia Garage will fit several hundred cars. Parking service officers will be in the area to assist drivers and provide information.

“We know that we’ve put back all of the spaces that we’re displacing,” said Richard Sobaram, the director of the Department of Parking and Transportation. “My biggest concern where student and staff parking is concerned is that they’re going to go over to the purple and red zones and think that they can take advantage of that. We don’t want them doing that, and in fact, they will be cited.”

U-Statue

The U-Statue will be revealed at 4:30 p.m. on Friday during an event on the Rock. Student Government, Sebastian the Ibis and President Donna E. Shalala will host the reveal of the statue.  It will become a part of a new tradition at UM and has been brought to campus by SG, the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of Alumni Relations. For more information, email SG Executive-at-Large Bhumi Patel at b.patel9@umiami.edu.

International Relations

Sigma Iota Rho is a national honor society for international students that promotes the understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of diplomacy. Both graduate and undergraduate students may apply. Members must have completed 18 credit hours of coursework in international relations, attained a junior standing, have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher in all courses, and a GPA of at least 3.3 in international relations courses. Exceptional underclassmen with at least nine credit hours of international studies coursework may also be eligible for membership. For more information, contact Aditi Sharma at a.sharma6@umiami.edu.

Locks of love

The Volunteer Link is hosting its bi-annual Locks of Love event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m Monday and Tuesday. It will be held on the Rock, or the UC if it rains. General haircuts are $10 for guys and $15 for girls. However, cuts are free for those who donate more than six inches of hair. All proceeds go to Locks of Love. The hair stylists are from Hair Emporium and Portfolio. Participants are encouraged to sign up at thevolunteerlink.com, but walk-ins are also accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com and agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...