Mumford & Sons’ musicality, talent shine in sophomore album

If someone was making odds on up-and-coming bands hitting it big, UK folk rock band Mumford & Sons would have come in at about 1,000,000 to one. In a time where chart-topping artists no longer play instruments but rather press buttons on laptops while wearing oversized mouse heads, Mumford & Sons uses a banjo and haunting hymn-like vocals to get to the top of international music charts. While the rest of the world seemed intent on moving into the new age of electronic music, Mumford & Sons kept their music rooted firmly in the past and the band’s debut album, “Sigh No More,”went platinum twice over.

So how does the follow-up album, “Babel,” compare? Pretty damn well.

The new album feels slightly more polished than “Sigh No More;” the brass on it has a cleaner finish than their debut, and some of the more folk elements get toned at times in favor of something that feels as though it might be suited to rock arenas. And therein lies the beauty of this band; they are able to create the type of swings in tempo and soft-loud shifts with banjos, horns and pianos that are normally reserved for today’s electronic and dubstep DJs. Anyone who finds that hard to believe, listen to “Hopeless Wanderer;” the up-tempo swing in the song is vicious, elevating from a soft piano melody into a blasting, fast-paced harmony of brass, banjo and group vocals. It really is something to behold, Marcus Mumford’s voice progressing from an airy whisper to a reverberating, hoarse yell and the clawhammer playing of his banjo ascending to a rapid hysteria from a soft strum. To say that this band has the ability to raise the hairs on the back of your neck is an understatement.

Everything about the album is unique. The first single, “I Will Wait,” contains the type of hymn-like vocals you might expect to hear at a local pub. The album’s lyrics are just as unique, with Mumford peppering the album with religious allegories and introspective banter, all delivered through a blaring mixture of trumpets, keyboards and banjos. He talks about Jesus in “Below My Feet” and about serving the Lord in “Whispers in The Dark.”

But the album isn’t overly preachy. They aren’t here like some annoying, in-your-face Christian rock band. They don’t use their religion to try and start a crusade, but to deepen and complicate their songs. Songs like “Lover’s Eyes” and “Broken Crown” deal with ideas of sin, betrayal and guilt, in emotionally charged and moving folk terms, proving that while the band is moving forward, they still stay true to their beginnings.

Mumford mixes spirituality and sexuality so authentically that the album manages to exhibit both grandeur and intimacy. It really is something to behold and is easily the most unique rock album of 2012 to date.

Robert Pursell

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...