The Killers return from hiatus with more personal album

After a summer packed with candy-pop tunes like “Call Me Maybe” and “Part of Me,” this autumn marks the return of the The Killers, after a four-year hiatus, with the release of the band’s fourth album, “Battle Born.”

Released on Sept. 18, “Battle Born” marks a new era for The Killers, straying away from the last album, “Day & Age.” The band fortunately returns with a vengeance to give their fans a “Hot Fuss” edge mixed with the synth sounds of “Day & Age.”

If you are still wondering whether their last single “Human” was “dancer” or “denser,” the lyrics in “Battle Born” are less confusing but as rich and more profound. They touch on personal issues about loss, coping, and the struggle to find a purpose.

The album’s openers “Flesh and Bones” and “Runaways” set the tone for the other songs. They remind listeners of the better days when ‘80s rock was considered a reputable genre that combined guitar solos with a pop beat. Both feature a backdrop of piano chords weaving lead singer Brandon Flowers’ haunting voice into a truly escapist experience.

“Runaways” is the album’s must-hear single and was released this summer. It combines the best of the old and new Killers with an explosive chorus that keeps the narrative verses together.

The album then continues with less catchy songs and more mellow tracks such as “Heart of a Girl,” “Be Still” and “Here with Me.” They lack the bravado of the singles but contain the best messages in any Killers album.

Overall, “Battle Born” should be listened to as The Killers’ mature effort with a novel sound that is sure to please devoted fans, newcomers and the past generation that miss Bon Jovi, Journey and, dare I say, Springsteen. Just a thought?

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The Killers return from hiatus with more personal album”

1. Rachel says:

“Runaways” is totally Springsteen-esque. I originally thought the new album was a total downer, but after several listens it has completely grown on me. The bonus tracks are worth the extra money.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...