The Killers return from hiatus with more personal album

After a summer packed with candy-pop tunes like “Call Me Maybe” and “Part of Me,” this autumn marks the return of the The Killers, after a four-year hiatus, with the release of the band’s fourth album, “Battle Born.”

Released on Sept. 18, “Battle Born” marks a new era for The Killers, straying away from the last album, “Day & Age.” The band fortunately returns with a vengeance to give their fans a “Hot Fuss” edge mixed with the synth sounds of “Day & Age.”

If you are still wondering whether their last single “Human” was “dancer” or “denser,” the lyrics in “Battle Born” are less confusing but as rich and more profound. They touch on personal issues about loss, coping, and the struggle to find a purpose.

The album’s openers “Flesh and Bones” and “Runaways” set the tone for the other songs. They remind listeners of the better days when ‘80s rock was considered a reputable genre that combined guitar solos with a pop beat. Both feature a backdrop of piano chords weaving lead singer Brandon Flowers’ haunting voice into a truly escapist experience.

“Runaways” is the album’s must-hear single and was released this summer. It combines the best of the old and new Killers with an explosive chorus that keeps the narrative verses together.

The album then continues with less catchy songs and more mellow tracks such as “Heart of a Girl,” “Be Still” and “Here with Me.” They lack the bravado of the singles but contain the best messages in any Killers album.

Overall, “Battle Born” should be listened to as The Killers’ mature effort with a novel sound that is sure to please devoted fans, newcomers and the past generation that miss Bon Jovi, Journey and, dare I say, Springsteen. Just a thought?

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The Killers return from hiatus with more personal album”

1. Rachel says:

“Runaways” is totally Springsteen-esque. I originally thought the new album was a total downer, but after several listens it has completely grown on me. The bonus tracks are worth the extra money.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...