News, Obituaries

Physics professor passed away Wednesday

courtesy UM Physics

Professor Josef Ashkenazi, known to some as “Yossi,” passed away last Wednesday. Ashkenazi, who was born in Beit Hanan, Israel, in 1944, had been teaching at the University of Miami for the past 24 years.

Ashkenazi attended Hebrew University in Jerusalem, graduating with a Ph.D. in physics. In 1988, he came to teach at the University of Miami, where he became a tenured professor.

According to an obituary published in The Miami Herald, Ashkenazi had been publishing work in the field of superconductivity until recently.

Kenneth Voss, physics professor and chairman for UM’s Department of Physics, began teaching at the university around the same time as Ashkenazi. The two professors worked together, at one point co-teaching an introductory physics course.

“It was fun to teach with him because Yossi always took care of the details,” Voss said.

With his help, James Nearing, a UM professor who retired last May, will take over the class, according to Voss.

“Yossi was extremely organized and had lots of energy,” Voss said. “He was always done ahead of time. His energy in the department will be missed. It’s going to be hard. He was a positive and optimistic person.”

Voss said that it was quiet in the physics department the Thursday and Friday after he died.

Senior Liliana Paan was in Ashkenazi’s introductory physics course this semester. She remembers Ashkenazi’s cheerful demeanor.

“Even though I had professor Ashkenazi for only two months, you felt how caring he was for his students and the love he had for physics,” said Paan, a psychology major. “He made going to class enjoyable by incorporating jokes and demonstrations into his lectures. There wasn’t one class he did not smile and crack a joke.”

Senior Sara Gutekunst also took Ashkenazi’s introductory physics course this semester. She was hesitant about taking physics, but was surprised to see how Ashkenazi conducted his class.

“He made it fun. It wasn’t too difficult,” she said. “It was a great surprise. I really liked him as a teacher. He was pretty humorous and I enjoyed the class.”

Though Gutekunst believes she is sure they will replace him with a good teacher, she will miss his energy and the way he taught.

“I’m going to miss him,” Gutekunst said. “I was really stunned when they told us he had passed away.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...