Oncologist talks research, ocular melanoma

J. William Harbour joined the Miller School of Medicine faculty to direct the Ocular Oncology Service at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute on Aug. 1. He is also a member of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and is collaborating with the Center to further a test he developed for the detection of high-risk ocular melanoma.

The Miami Hurricane: What is the focus of your research?

J. William Harbour: My background has focused on ocular melanoma, which is the most common cancer that occurs within the eye. This cancer develops in 40 to 50 percent of patients, who are at higher risk from dying of its metastasis.

TMH: Where did your findings lead you?

JWH: I developed a prognostic test that identifies which patients are at high risk for ocular melanoma. By identifying a mutation that causes the metastasis, it allows one to design therapies for these patients who are at high risk.

TMH: How frequently does this cancer occur?

JWH: Of all ocular cancers combined, just about 2,000 cases occur each year in the U.S. However, when extreme conditions like intraocular tumors are considered, it can be more than 100,000 patients in the U.S. per year.

TMH: What is the possible future goal of this test?

JWH: I hope to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to develop new technologies similar to the prognostic test that can help with other types of eye cancers. I want to possibly expand beyond ophthalmology into radiation oncology, pediatric oncology, genetics and genomics with the help of other melanoma experts.

TMH: What led you to come to Sylvester?

JWH: I can tap into the expertise and many disciplines here in Sylvester and take a cohesive approach to ocular cancers. And it is an opportunity to be part of something that is outstanding.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...