Oncologist talks research, ocular melanoma

J. William Harbour joined the Miller School of Medicine faculty to direct the Ocular Oncology Service at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute on Aug. 1. He is also a member of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and is collaborating with the Center to further a test he developed for the detection of high-risk ocular melanoma.

The Miami Hurricane: What is the focus of your research?

J. William Harbour: My background has focused on ocular melanoma, which is the most common cancer that occurs within the eye. This cancer develops in 40 to 50 percent of patients, who are at higher risk from dying of its metastasis.

TMH: Where did your findings lead you?

JWH: I developed a prognostic test that identifies which patients are at high risk for ocular melanoma. By identifying a mutation that causes the metastasis, it allows one to design therapies for these patients who are at high risk.

TMH: How frequently does this cancer occur?

JWH: Of all ocular cancers combined, just about 2,000 cases occur each year in the U.S. However, when extreme conditions like intraocular tumors are considered, it can be more than 100,000 patients in the U.S. per year.

TMH: What is the possible future goal of this test?

JWH: I hope to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to develop new technologies similar to the prognostic test that can help with other types of eye cancers. I want to possibly expand beyond ophthalmology into radiation oncology, pediatric oncology, genetics and genomics with the help of other melanoma experts.

TMH: What led you to come to Sylvester?

JWH: I can tap into the expertise and many disciplines here in Sylvester and take a cohesive approach to ocular cancers. And it is an opportunity to be part of something that is outstanding.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...