Oncologist talks research, ocular melanoma

J. William Harbour joined the Miller School of Medicine faculty to direct the Ocular Oncology Service at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute on Aug. 1. He is also a member of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and is collaborating with the Center to further a test he developed for the detection of high-risk ocular melanoma.

The Miami Hurricane: What is the focus of your research?

J. William Harbour: My background has focused on ocular melanoma, which is the most common cancer that occurs within the eye. This cancer develops in 40 to 50 percent of patients, who are at higher risk from dying of its metastasis.

TMH: Where did your findings lead you?

JWH: I developed a prognostic test that identifies which patients are at high risk for ocular melanoma. By identifying a mutation that causes the metastasis, it allows one to design therapies for these patients who are at high risk.

TMH: How frequently does this cancer occur?

JWH: Of all ocular cancers combined, just about 2,000 cases occur each year in the U.S. However, when extreme conditions like intraocular tumors are considered, it can be more than 100,000 patients in the U.S. per year.

TMH: What is the possible future goal of this test?

JWH: I hope to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to develop new technologies similar to the prognostic test that can help with other types of eye cancers. I want to possibly expand beyond ophthalmology into radiation oncology, pediatric oncology, genetics and genomics with the help of other melanoma experts.

TMH: What led you to come to Sylvester?

JWH: I can tap into the expertise and many disciplines here in Sylvester and take a cohesive approach to ocular cancers. And it is an opportunity to be part of something that is outstanding.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...