News Briefs 10/8

Obama to visit

President Barack Obama will visit campus for a rally Thursday. The event, organized by the Obama campaign, will take place in the BankUnited Center (BUC), and doors will open at noon. Fifteen thousand tickets are available, and students with a Cane Card can pick up their tickets between 5 and 8 p.m. Monday at the BUC ticket office. Check themiamihurricane.com for updates.

“The campaign has told us numerous times that they are counting on the University of Miami to pull through,” said Emily Young, the campus team leader for Canes for Obama. “They would love for us to go 80 percent blue.”

Purple Zone

Effective last Friday, parking in the purple zone is enforced between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. seven days a week. Only purple permit holders, as well as reserved and preferred permit holders, can park in the purple zone during these hours. Unauthorized cars will receive a parking citation.

Parking in all other zones, except for the blue resident zone, is enforced between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Anyone interested in parking in the areas closest to the purple zone during the enforcement hours can park in either the Pavia Garage or the red parking zone. For more information, email parking.gables@miami.edu.

Viva Italia

Roberto Andreoni, an Italian professor, composer and Fulbright Scholar, will be visiting UM and giving a talk called “Why Italy? Why now?” from 1:30 to 3 p.m. on Monday in the Modern Languages Library (Merrick 210-02). Andreoni will explore the development of music, art, architecture, sciences and urban design and how it flourished in Italy and Europe for 25 centuries. He will discuss the interdependence of these subjects among the cultures that created them.

There will also be an event celebrating event the return of the Società Dante Alighieri (SDA) to the City of Coral Gables as well as many years of collaboration between UM and the SDA. It is also intended to welcome back those students who studied abroad in Italy in order to allow the students to share their experience with those who might be interested in going to Italy in the future. This will take place at 6 p.m. on Monday at 300 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables.

LinkedIn Workshop

The Toppel Career Center is hosting a workshop on LinkedIn at 12 p.m. on Tuesday at the Toppel Library. LinkedIn is the world’s largest online professional network and is quickly becoming the hiring solution for many Fortune 500 companies. LinkedIn can be used for job searches, networking and more. The session will teach students about what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure your profile makes you stand apart from other candidates. This session will be presented by recruiters from Citrix, a technology company. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

NBC Universal

The School of Communication is hosting an info session about NBCUniversal at 8 p.m. on Wednesday in Shoma Hall (CIB 3053). Students can hear a former NBCUniversal intern talk about working at the company. NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the production of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. Students may ask questions about the internship program and the opportunities available through NBCUniversal. Food and refreshments will be provided.

TEDx UMiami

The TEDx UMiami Team is hosting its first TEDx event from 1 to 4 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the Storer Auditorium. TEDx allows students to hold independent conferences inviting professional speakers from all over the United States in order to introduce new topics and spark discussion. The TEDxUMiami event will host six speakers from a variety of backgrounds including business, journalism, literature and more. Visit tedxumiami.com to purchase tickets and for more information.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...