GOP shouldn’t intervene in women’s health

The GOP and I have a serious problem.

It’s laughable that Mitt Romney believes he has the right to control my body. It’s astounding that Todd Akin, a GOP representative, thinks the female body has a way to “shut the whole thing down” if “legitimate rape” occurs; never mind what constitutes legitimate rape. But it’s horrifying to know Paul Ryan supports the Protect LIFE Act or Let Women Die Act.

When I watch interviews and hear the GOP platform on abortion and rape, I start to lose faith in humanity for many reasons. My fiscally conservative friends support Romney’s economic plans and are stepping to support a seriously misogynistic platform. I can’t describe my issues with the term “legitimate rape.” I can’t hide my embarrassment for people who actually believe that “God” equipped a female body with mechanisms that shut down a pregnancy from rape. And I really can’t get over the stance of no abortions, no exceptions.

The intent to give equal rights to the born and unborn is a major issue. This system punishes the female. Her body is no longer hers. Her life could be in danger, but no one cares.

Conservative forces are all for making decisions and forcing women to bring children into the world, yet the enthusiasm seriously disappears in the follow through.

Is the government going to improve the welfare system? Are they going to pay for an education? Provide support to a single parent? Pay for a babysitter when more shifts have to be picked up? Supply medical attention when the insurance companies won’t cover it?

It takes responsibility to give birth to a child. It also takes responsibility to know when the right environment can’t be provided.  And let’s not pretend our social services are so evolved that they can ensure a foster care child would live a happy life.

Let women make their own choices over their bodies.

Natasha Tomchin is a junior majoring in history, public relations and gender studies. 

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “GOP shouldn’t intervene in women’s health”

1. Amy Smith says:

Natasha, I support your views 100%. The government should not be involved in family planning issues. That is way too invasive. I think the GOP has put far more actual effort into taking away the rights of women and devaluing their humanity than putting their efforts where they belong – fixing the economy.

I will be voting a straight Democrat ticket this year. The GOP is the party that has tried to redefine rape, limit protection for victims of domestic violence, outlaw the Pill through the “personhood” amendment, and make equal pay for equal work laws unenforceable. The Democrats have no such initiatives.

I am so tired of having to vote on this issue year after year. The GOP should end its efforts to repeal women’s rights and focus on jobs and the national debt. I’d love to vote for a fiscally conservative ticket, but it’s not worth giving up my rights to do so.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...