Sports, Volleyball

Canes continue streak after 3-1 win over UNC

Redshirt sophomore, Emani Sims, stretches to spike the ball against NC State on the game on Friday. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

Talk about a home court advantage.

With a weekend sweep over North Carolina State and UNC, the Miami Hurricanes volleyball team has won 25 of their last 26 games at the Knight Sports Complex, including a 14-game winning streak that dates back to Oct. 16 of last year, a loss to Georgia Tech.

Miami (14-3, 6-1 ACC) was right back at it Sunday afternoon, hosting the Tar Heels, who came in at 13-3 overall and 4-2 in the ACC, having just been swept by Florida State Friday night. Despite the Tar Heels’ taller front line, Miami came out strong and aggressive from the beginning, led by junior Alex Johnson and sophomore Emani Sims 10 blocks, and put together a 4-set victory, 25-18, 27-25, 25-23 and 25-14.

Sims, coming off ACC Player of the Week honors, has impressed her coach with her versatility of the floor.

“She’s able to make herself available on both transition and serve-receive to be a force in the middle,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said.

The Hurricanes began the weekend with a 4-set win over ACC leader N.C. State Friday night, winning 25-23, 25-17, 20-25 and 25-15.

“We beat a great team that was on a huge winning streak and knows how to win,” Lantagne Welch said. “I thought we played some nice volleyball and put together a nice defensive effort.”

Alexis Mourning led the offensive attack for the Canes, recording a match high 13 kills. Taylor Hollins played another consistent outing, recording her 12th double-double of the season with 12 kills and 10 digs. Senior setter Nrithya Sundararama helped anchor the offense with 36 assists, while junior libero Ryan Shaffer continued her strong defensive play with a season-high 30 digs.

Miami had dramatic moments throughout the weekend, including set wins over N.C. State and UNC when trailing 23-20, and a 16-6 run in set 2 against NC State, showcasing the team’s offensive capabilities.

The weekend sweep may possibly vault Miami into the top 25 polls as the team has now rattled off a four-game winning streak over the course of two weeks after falling at Virginia Tech on Sept. 23.

The 14-3 mark and tie atop the ACC standings is an impressive spot for Miami, who graduated one of the best senior classes in program history highlighted by 2nd team All-American Lane Carico.

The Hurricanes will travel for the next four matches, a road trip that includes Maryland, Boston College, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

The next home game for  Miami will be a rematch against Virginia Tech on Oct. 26.

AJ Ricketts

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...