LoweDown Happy Hour events offer themed entertainment, art

For students who are tired of standing in line to get into Moe’s in the Grove on Thursday nights, LoweDown Happy Hour events offer a change of pace.

Saving students a trip on the Ibis Ride, the Lowe Art Museum on Stanford Drive hosts the LoweDown Happy Hour from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month during the fall and spring semesters.

The LoweDown was started by a former marketing assistant at the museum, who was interested in attracting a young professional crowd from Coral Gables, said Kara Schneiderman, assistant director of the Lowe.

“Over the past several years, it has morphed into an event that attracts more and more students, which is great for us since the Lowe is in the process of re-focusing its mission as an academic museum to better serve our UM student and faculty constituents,” she said.

Museum admission is typically free for students, faculty and staff with Cane Cards, but entrance to the LoweDown Happy Hour costs $10 for non-members. That price includes a gallery tour or lecture, light appetizers, two drink tickets (ID required) or a non-alcoholic beverage.

Each LoweDown features a different theme chosen by Yina Balarezo, membership coordinator for the Lowe. The first one on Sept. 6 was “It’s All About the U!” Students were urged to wear UM colors and show their Hurricane pride. Those who attended received a guided tour of the Beaux Arts Gallery by art history professor Nathan Timpano.

Students that have attended LoweDown say it is a worthwhile experience.

“I went to the first LoweDown this year, and it was awesome,” sophomore Sean Magill said. “There was a ton of people there, and I got to make some new friends all while checking out some amazing art.”

The next LoweDown theme on Oct. 4 is called “Asian Treasure” and features a tour of the current exhibition, “Introspection and Awakening: Japanese Art of the Edo and Meiji Periods, 1615-1912,” by Lowe Director Brian Dursum. Snacks will be provided by Cabot Cheese, Pop Chips, Bacardi cocktails and Vitamin Water Zero.

“I’ve never been to one of the LoweDowns, but a friend of mine went to the first one this year, and she only had good things to say about it,” senior Agustin Mas said. “I promised her I would go to the next one with her. She says I need to learn to appreciate art, and the LoweDowns seem like a good place to start.”

For more information about LoweDown’s upcoming themes, go to http://www6.miami.edu/lowe/event_lowedown.html.

Pablo Chacon

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...