Football, Sports

Shawn Eichorst resigns as athletic director

For the second time in less than two years, Miami is on the lookout for a new athletic director.

The University of Miami has confirmed an Associated Press Report that Shawn Eichorst stepped down from his position as UM’s athletic director on Thursday morning.

The news comes just 18 months after Eichorst took over at Miami in April 2011. He replaced Kirby Hocutt, who abruptly left the university for the same position at Texas Tech.

Reports in Nebraska have stated that Eichorst was the school’s top candidate to replace current AD Tom Osbourne, who will retire at the end of the year.

In a statement made on Thursday afternoon, UM announced Eichorst’s departure, which was effective immediately.

President Donna E. Shalala has appointed Blake James, the senior associate athletic director, as the Acting Director of Athletics.

“I am deeply disappointed in Shawn’s departure to the University of Nebraska as I thoroughly enjoyed working with him,” she said. “We wish Shawn and his wonderful family the very best at their new post.”

James has previously worked as the director of athletics at the University of Maine from 2005 to 2010. He has also worked for Miami in the past from 1995 to 1997, and then again from 1998 to 2001.

Eichorst leaves a Miami athletic department still in flux over NCAA allegations made at the beginning of the 2011 fall semester, when it was reported that former booster Nevin Shapiro provided impermissible benefits to dozens of athletes. UM will likely hear from the NCAA in the next few months if sanctions are handed down.

Eichorst was also responsible for hiring men’s basketball coach Jim Larranaga after former coach Frank Haith departed for Missouri. Larranaga is entering his second season as head coach for the Hurricanes.

There is still no word as to who the school is looking at to fill the athletic director position.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...