Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Magic-themed sport will sweep you away

Junior Sean Beloff leads the team in an Ultimate Quidditch drill at a practice last week on the IM fields. Ultimate Quidditch is similar to ultimate frisbee, but is played with Quidditch balls. For Muggle Quidditch, underinflated volleyballs and dodgeballs are used. Lauren Lennox // Contributing Photographer 

Popular English author J.K. Rowling’s books may have some UM students dreaming about the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but playing Harry Potter’s favorite sport is no longer a fantasy. Quidditch is a muggle-made reality on campus – and beyond.

“When I came to UM and heard a Quidditch team was starting, I was very excited to be able to play,” said senior Matthew Ziff, who has played  chaser, beater and seeker on the team. “But over the last couple years, something cool happened: Quidditch outgrew Harry Potter. Some of our athletes who aren’t big fans of the book came to Quidditch not seeing it as a Harry Potter sport, but as a challenging, full contact, co-ed sport.”

Since UM Muggle Quidditch was founded in spring 2010, the club sport, which includes a competition squad, has seen its share of success. Recently winning the Swamp Cup and going undefeated since the World Cup earlier this year, MQUM is now ranked third in the nation out of 764 teams, according to the International Quidditch Association website. The team’s season begins in October and ends in April with the World Cup in Kissimmee, Fla.

“We are looking forward to playing in the upcoming tournament,” Ziff said. “Our goal is to improve together as a group.”

The team practices on the IM fields on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, which team leaders say is the best day for those who want to give the sport a try.

“We always welcome new people to come and scrimmage with us,” team captain Sean Beloff said.

To skeptics who doubt Muggle Quidditch is a sport, Ziff says to think again.

“You can’t judge us until you see it in person or at least try playing,” he said.

In addition to the team’s winning ways, two of its players  were picked to play on the U.S. National Quidditch team, which took part in the IQA Summer Expo Games in Oxford, England, before the London Olympics. Chaser Sean Pagoada and Ziff competed against Great Britain, Canada, Australia and France.

“It was an incredible experience,” said Ziff. “Being in the country where all this originated from was surreal.”

About Author

Giselle Espinales

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...