Gear up for a month of music, opportunity at Festival Miami

The start of October marks the kickoff of the Frost School of Music’s Festival Miami, a month-long event focused on bringing a variety of music to the University of Miami and South Florida.

Open to students and community members alike, the festival focuses on four themes: Great Performances, Jazz and Beyond, Creative American Music and Music of the Americas. These themes represent the upcoming performances, as well as the diverse genres that Frost embraces.

Shelton Berg, the dean at Frost and coordinator of Festival Miami, is enthusiastic about this year’s festival.

“Nothing demonstrates the power of the human spirit better than great music,” Berg said. “Audiences leave these performances uplifted in a way that only music can inspire.”

The festival caters to all musical tastes, featuring acts ranging from Broadway to jazz. Although Frost welcomes guest performers to campus for the festival, students and professors at the school are also featured throughout the month.

Professor Lawrence Lapin, the program director of jazz vocal performance, stresses the importance of these performances for students.

Along with exposing students to various music, the festival is “good for Frost students’ training,” providing performance experience and future contacts.

“It’s a highly professionally produced and performed series,” said Lapin, whose ensemble, Frost Jazz Vocal 1, is scheduled to perform with Roseanna Vitro on Oct. 25.

As a Florida local, Frost freshman Joshua Schwartz has attended many of the performances in the past, including an appearance by jazz musician Gunther Schuller.

“It’s a lot of music and a lot of fun,” he said.

Other past acts include Broadway star Noah Racey, Grammy Award-winner Ivan Lins and the Momentum Dance Company. This year’s festival opens on Tuesday with a free master class led by pianist Leon Fleisher. He will then conduct the Frost Symphony Orchestra on Thursday night at Gusman Concert Hall.

“Festival Miami is a reflection of who we are,” Berg said. “It celebrates the richness and diversity of music. The programming is as diverse and exciting as we have ever had, and I truly believe that every concert will be something special.”

The performances will take place at Gusman Concert Hall, Clarke Recital Hall, Knight Concert Hall and the BankUnited Center. Tickets differ in price depending on the performance, however, select concerts are free for UM students and/or Frost School students. All master classes are free.

Additionally, there are community outreach programs, such as Culture Shock Miami and the Golden Ticket program, which offers student discounts and free senior admissions to select shows.

For more information, visit festivalmiami.com.

Marlee Lisker

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...