Yearbook, club sports referenda pass

Referenda sponsored by Ibis Yearbook and the Federation of Club Sports have both passed after approximately 600 students cast their votes in the Student Government fall elections.

However, five SG Senate seats were left in limbo when results were announced Wednesday evening at the Rock. Election code violations were filed against the candidates.

The referenda added a total of $6.75 to the student activities fee.

Ibis Yearbook will now receive an additional $3 from every student, starting in the fall of 2013. The measure passed with 55 percent of the votes.

“We can continue to make the yearbook the way we have been for the past 85 years,” said Sandra Montalvo, editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. “I can sleep now.”

FCS will receive $3.75 from every student, also starting in the fall of 2013. The referendum passed with 65 percent of the vote. Brian Van Cleave, an office assistant at the Wellness Center who oversees the budgets of all club sports, was responsible for creating the referendum.

“This additional funding is not only needed, but well deserved,” he said. “These student athletes work very hard to compete, train and represent the University of Miami and should be able to do so at the best of their ability at the local, regional and national levels.”

Kevin Pribramsky, president of the golf club sport, plans to use the money to reduce dues and help members attend more tournaments.

“In this economy, we had to increase dues,” he said. “In my freshman year, dues were $50. Now they have gone up to $80. With the money, we now can lower dues.”

Yet not everyone was pleased Wednesday night. Of the 35 Senate seats that were up for election, five remained undecided. These were the second seats for the senior class, sophomore class and freshman class as well as the seats for the School of Communication and Mahoney Residential College.

According to Sean Norris, the SG Supreme Court chief justice, all five candidates failed to file their campaign finance reports on time. This violation resulted in their automatic disqualification from the race.

The candidates have 24 hours to contact Norris and appeal their dismissal. Norris will then decide if their appeals are valid, and if they are, the court will hear cases later this week.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Yearbook, club sports referenda pass”

1. Steve says:

A shame that the club sports bill passed. They bring no tangible value to the University as a whole, and, rather, provide a privilege for a few paid for by everyone else.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...