Dry The River showcases its musicality in debut album

“Shallow Bed” marks Dry The River’s debut – and after one listen-through, I can tell you that it’ll be hard for the band’s sophomore album to live up to its first.

The English folk band’s debut album is flawless; from frontman Peter Liddle’s refreshing voice to the use of horns and violins, you won’t want to take the record off repeat.

The first track, “Animal Skins,” properly sets up the rest of “Shallow Bed.” Dry The River’s sound is reminiscent of Mumford & Sons’ and The National’s, yet the five-man band manages to stay original.

The album continues with “New Ceremony,” which just might be the highlight of the record. Liddle’s lead vocals are spot-on; I could listen to his voice for hours.

And the lyrics speak for themselves: “It’s anybody’s guess how/The angel of doubt came down/And crept into your bed.”

The next song, “Shield Your Eyes,” refers to goddess Cybele, while telling a love story.

Although the lyrics are striking, the last minute and 30 seconds is what will stick with listeners. The percussion and Liddle’s voice will give you chills … no doubt about it.

Religious references are made throughout the album, both in the lyrics and the song titles. “History Book” uses religious imagery, while telling listeners to carry the past with them, regardless of its weight: “As heavy as a history book can be/I will carry it with me, oh Lord.”

Dry The River’s musicality resonates in songs like “Lion’s Den” and “No Rest.”

And the band’s debut single, “No Rest,” will pull at your heartstrings: “Did you see the fear in my heart?/Did you see me bleeding out?”

But if you choose to listen to only one song on this album, make it “Bible Belt.” The haunting lyrics are simple, yet they are the most powerful on the album.

Liddle sings, “You were a low moon, steady with your wintry calm/Somewhere inside the fire of your youth went dark.” It’s simply beautiful.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...