CADIVI funding limits possibilities

Find what you love to do, and don’t stop doing it. That’s what college is for.

Many students change their major more than once. For example, a biology major may decide to become an architect, after realizing medicine isn’t in the cards.

Although such a change may seem drastic, changing your major is as simple as scheduling an appointment with your academic advisor. But some don’t have this luxury.

More than 200 Venezuelan students at UM may never be able to change their major. This year, the Commission for the Administration of Currency Exchange (CADIVI), which gives funding to these international students, faced significant changes.

These students, who come to the U.S. for better opportunities, are now bound by restrictions back home, more than 1,300 miles away. And for many of these students, their heads are not in sync with their hearts.

With the new changes being implemented by CADIVI, students are no longer able to choose certain career paths. CADIVI limits the concentrations students can choose, if receiving government funding to attend college in the U.S.

While CADIVI does fund basic sciences, health and education, popular majors such as political science, psychology and history are not part of the short list. These students are forced to change their interests on paper because of Venezuela’s policies.

Unfortunately, there is nothing these students can do to change this, unless they plan to attend U.S. universities without assistance from CADIVI. Tuition for international students is already significantly higher than for residents or out-of-state students, even with government aid.

Though some of these students may want to return home after graduation, that is not always the case.

Venezuelan students should have the option to apply for alternative sources of financial aid from U.S. universities or their own country. Otherwise, scholarships should be available for international students who want to study in the U.S.

With heightened awareness, these ideas could become a reality. There is strength in numbers, and college campuses should work together to promote this cause.

For those of you who are able to change your major, be thankful there are no limitations to your education, besides wanting to graduate on time. Other UM students are only left to dream.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...