Yearbook, club sports need votes

Students: Ibis Yearbook and the Federation of Club Sports (FCS) need you. And your wallets.

Monday through Wednesday, voting will be held for two SG referenda that could increase the student activity fee by a total of $6.75 for fall 2013. These referenda, for both Ibis and FCS, would ultimately help the student body.

Ibis Yearbook referendum

Ibis is asking to increase the student activity fee by $3 per student per semester to keep the yearbook afloat. Although a referendum for Ibis was passed in 2001 to increase the fee by less than a dollar, it is no longer enough.

Seniors will not be affected if the referendum passes. However, they can still vote, and should. For students graduating in May 2014, this referendum will increase their student activity fee by $6. For 2015 graduates, it will increase by $12. And for 2016 graduates, by $18.

Production of one Ibis yearbook costs at least $85. This referendum would allow students to receive four yearbooks for less than half the price of a single one. For anyone who knows how to add, that’s a bargain – especially for priceless memories.

Ibis is an award-winning publication that represents the University of Miami at a national level. Every year, the staff works to put out a yearbook that brings color to our college years.

Last year, Ibis had to place a second order of yearbooks because the first batch ran out. Students wanted yearbooks then; they’re bound to want them now.

FCS referendum

FCS is asking to increase the student activity fee by $3.75 per student per semester to help fund club sports. Last year, FCS operated at a deficit of $20,000. This year, it cannot continue to do so.

Leading the effort is Brian Van Cleave, an office assistant at the Wellness Center who oversees the budgets for all club sports. According to Van Cleave, club sports had approximately $300,000 in expenses last year.

FCS, an umbrella organization, comprises 44 club sports, which represent the university at various races, tournaments and competitions. Each club sport does not accrue the same expenses for operations and equipment. For example, rugby is far more fiscally intensive than Tae Kwon Doe. The Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) would be responsible for fairly distributing the funds among these 44 entities.

It’s worth mentioning that SAFAC does not currently have concrete plans for how they would allocate the money. Although the organization would have until August to finalize its plans, it’s something to keep in mind.

Students, a “no opinion” vote is counted as a “no” in the final tally. If you’re going to vote for the referenda, take a position.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Yearbook, club sports need votes”

1. Jessica says:

Also, to the second student. If you like Mediocre maybe you should go to FSU.

2. Jessica says:

The editor does NOT get $25,000. HAHAHA

3. Another Student says:

Why do I need an 500 page, $85, award-winning yearbook? Im okay with mediocrity. Just cut costs (and don’t go on those trips! Why do they even have those?). Its called being responsible.

4. student says:

If they can’t afford to pay for the yearbooks why don’t they take the $25,000 dollars they pay the Editor-in-Chief and put that towards production. Why would students have to pay for the production side when they have the funds.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...