“House at the End of the Street” scares with twists, turns

Jennifer Lawrence is a badass; if “Hunger Games” didn’t prove it to you, then “House at the End of the Street” will.

Lawrence plays Elissa, a 17-year-old girl who moves from Chicago to the middle of nowhere with her mom (Elisabeth Shue). The two have a rocky relationship, mostly due to Elissa’s bitterness about her parents’ divorce.

Then, Ryan Jacobson (Max Thieriot) comes into the picture. He’s their new neighbor, who just happens to still live in the same house his parents were murdered in by his sister. Oh yeah, and his sister disappeared in the woods after the murder. Seems like a safe neighborhood.

Of course, Elissa ends up befriending Ryan despite her mother’s and the other neighbors’ warnings. But if you think you know where this is going, you’re completely and totally wrong.

The movie’s twists and turns leave the audience baffled until the last few minutes. To be honest, my friend and I had to discuss the plot after we left the theater to actually understand everything that had just played out in the film.

“House at the End of the Street” is definitely original. Plus, the frequent scares had the entire theater screaming during the movie.

Sure, the acting is subpar and the first 30 minutes seem a bit been-there-done-that. But the major plot twist alone is worth the $11 movie ticket. Without a doubt, director Mark Tonderai and writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow know how to set up a thriller.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...