“House at the End of the Street” scares with twists, turns

Jennifer Lawrence is a badass; if “Hunger Games” didn’t prove it to you, then “House at the End of the Street” will.

Lawrence plays Elissa, a 17-year-old girl who moves from Chicago to the middle of nowhere with her mom (Elisabeth Shue). The two have a rocky relationship, mostly due to Elissa’s bitterness about her parents’ divorce.

Then, Ryan Jacobson (Max Thieriot) comes into the picture. He’s their new neighbor, who just happens to still live in the same house his parents were murdered in by his sister. Oh yeah, and his sister disappeared in the woods after the murder. Seems like a safe neighborhood.

Of course, Elissa ends up befriending Ryan despite her mother’s and the other neighbors’ warnings. But if you think you know where this is going, you’re completely and totally wrong.

The movie’s twists and turns leave the audience baffled until the last few minutes. To be honest, my friend and I had to discuss the plot after we left the theater to actually understand everything that had just played out in the film.

“House at the End of the Street” is definitely original. Plus, the frequent scares had the entire theater screaming during the movie.

Sure, the acting is subpar and the first 30 minutes seem a bit been-there-done-that. But the major plot twist alone is worth the $11 movie ticket. Without a doubt, director Mark Tonderai and writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow know how to set up a thriller.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...