“House at the End of the Street” scares with twists, turns

Jennifer Lawrence is a badass; if “Hunger Games” didn’t prove it to you, then “House at the End of the Street” will.

Lawrence plays Elissa, a 17-year-old girl who moves from Chicago to the middle of nowhere with her mom (Elisabeth Shue). The two have a rocky relationship, mostly due to Elissa’s bitterness about her parents’ divorce.

Then, Ryan Jacobson (Max Thieriot) comes into the picture. He’s their new neighbor, who just happens to still live in the same house his parents were murdered in by his sister. Oh yeah, and his sister disappeared in the woods after the murder. Seems like a safe neighborhood.

Of course, Elissa ends up befriending Ryan despite her mother’s and the other neighbors’ warnings. But if you think you know where this is going, you’re completely and totally wrong.

The movie’s twists and turns leave the audience baffled until the last few minutes. To be honest, my friend and I had to discuss the plot after we left the theater to actually understand everything that had just played out in the film.

“House at the End of the Street” is definitely original. Plus, the frequent scares had the entire theater screaming during the movie.

Sure, the acting is subpar and the first 30 minutes seem a bit been-there-done-that. But the major plot twist alone is worth the $11 movie ticket. Without a doubt, director Mark Tonderai and writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow know how to set up a thriller.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...