“House at the End of the Street” scares with twists, turns

Jennifer Lawrence is a badass; if “Hunger Games” didn’t prove it to you, then “House at the End of the Street” will.

Lawrence plays Elissa, a 17-year-old girl who moves from Chicago to the middle of nowhere with her mom (Elisabeth Shue). The two have a rocky relationship, mostly due to Elissa’s bitterness about her parents’ divorce.

Then, Ryan Jacobson (Max Thieriot) comes into the picture. He’s their new neighbor, who just happens to still live in the same house his parents were murdered in by his sister. Oh yeah, and his sister disappeared in the woods after the murder. Seems like a safe neighborhood.

Of course, Elissa ends up befriending Ryan despite her mother’s and the other neighbors’ warnings. But if you think you know where this is going, you’re completely and totally wrong.

The movie’s twists and turns leave the audience baffled until the last few minutes. To be honest, my friend and I had to discuss the plot after we left the theater to actually understand everything that had just played out in the film.

“House at the End of the Street” is definitely original. Plus, the frequent scares had the entire theater screaming during the movie.

Sure, the acting is subpar and the first 30 minutes seem a bit been-there-done-that. But the major plot twist alone is worth the $11 movie ticket. Without a doubt, director Mark Tonderai and writers David Loucka and Jonathan Mostow know how to set up a thriller.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...