Commuter senator proposes changes to parking system

Commuter students received a survey by email last Wednesday to gauge their interest in a new plan that would allow students to park outside of their designated zones up to three times per semester.
The proposed plan would let parking permit holders park in any colored lot when they are facing an emergency situation by providing them with three excused parking passes. Commuters would place these passes on their windshields for parking attendants to collect.
“I can see how it’s useful, and I am happy that they are taking steps to fix the problem with somewhat useful solutions,” sophomore Charlie Lorenzana, a commuter, said.
The survey was the brainchild of Emmy Petit-Frere, the commuter senator in the Student Government Senate. As a commuter herself, she said that she understands some of the problems that commuters face.
“I know how rough it can be,” she said. “I leave at 6:30 and still don’t make it in time for my 8 a.m. class. It’s very stressful.”
She discovered that many of her fellow commuters felt that the current colored parking system does not work well for them when they have emergencies, including heavy traffic and unexpected tardiness.
“Traffic is unpredictable, and there are accidents all over U.S. 1 all the time,” said senior Annabel Escandon, a commuter student. “We can’t control this.”
Petit-Frere then designed her three-pass system and sent out a survey to evaluate how many students were on board.
According to Petit-Frere, 620 students answered her survey. About 70 percent of those students indicated that the current parking system was inconvenient, and about 80 percent agreed that her proposed system would improve parking.
However, despite the overwhelmingly positive response from students, the Department of Parking and Transportation is not in favor of the proposed plan.
“That system could completely blow up the current system,” said Richard Sobaram, director of Parking and Transportation. “Every single day, you would have several hundred more permits in zones that cannot sustain them.”
According to Sobaram, the goal of the current system is to have students park once and then stay parked there the whole day.
“We don’t want people driving back and forth across campus,” he said. “It creates a dangerous situation for pedestrians.”
However, Sobaram does believe that the current system accommodates students who may have to park in the wrong zone because of an emergency. Currently, when a student receives a ticket, they can appeal it to a board of students to determine if the ticket was warranted.
If it is a first time offense, the board almost always waives the fines, Sobaram said.
Petit-Frere is not discouraged by the lack of support from the Department of Parking and Transportation. Next, she plans to look into the possibility of adding more routes to the shuttle system.
Petit-Frere plans to work with Sobaram to implement more feasible ideas in the future.
“I want to find a way we can meet and compromise,” she said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...