U.S. News ranking does not reflect UM’s true standing

On Sept. 12, U.S. News & World Report released its annual rankings of the top colleges and universities in the nation.

Most schools rarely move more than a few spaces up or down, but last year something remarkable occurred: The University of Miami jumped eight spots to No. 38. After spending the better part of the 2000s in the mid-50’s range, this was a major cause for celebration.

This event was publicized all over campus, from Facebook statuses to official correspondence from President Donna Shalala. But, this year we have fallen six spaces down, to No. 44. We didn’t need U.S. News to tell us that we are still the No. 1 school in the state of Florida and that we are significantly better in all aspects than that school in Tallahassee, but they did anyway.

As a high school student I remember my guidance counselor swearing by the “Top 100,” and insisting that the rank of my school would open doors and make my degree mean more, which remains a tough debate even for university administrators. But something that is rarely discussed when U.S. News releases its report is the exact formula they use to rank the schools and what they value most in a school.

The number one, most important factor in determining a college’s ranking at U.S. News is what other university administrators and high school counselors think of it. U.S. News describes it as giving “significant weight to the opinions of those in a position to judge a school’s undergraduate academic excellence. The academic peer assessment survey allows top academics – presidents, provosts, and deans of admissions – to account for intangibles at peer institutions such as faculty dedication to teaching.”

Do not dismay, you are not the only person who read that to think that is a pile of horse maneur beautifully laced with filler phrases. Please do not get me wrong, I have no doubt that university administrators have serious insight into the quality of a university, but wouldn’t the student employment rate, or heck, maybe the opinion of various national employers be of more importance in determining the quality of education the school provides?

There is very little one can do about the way U.S. News ranks schools, but one thing we can do as a school is continue excelling and being the best university in the world.

Mischael Cetoute is a sophomore majoring in africana studies and political science.  

Mischael Cetoute

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...