Together, college students make votes count

You’re at home watching coverage of the political campaign on CNN, and you make a comment about something one of the candidates says. Instead of getting a response in return, your parents say, “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

College students are often brushed off and ignored when they talk politics. For this reason, we continue to carry the negative reputation of being politically uninterested and uninformed.

However, with this election, we’re breaking that stereotype.

The Miami Hurricane conducted a poll on its website regarding the 2012 election season. Within two days, the poll received nearly 300 votes per question.

These students don’t seem politically uninterested nor uninformed.

Our survey asked students nine questions relating to voter registration, political party affiliation and important issues affecting the nation.

Results revealed that the majority of students at the University of Miami who participated are registered voters, primarily Democrat, and believe the economy is the most important issue facing the youth right now.

Satirical programs such as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and increased communication with presidential candidates through social media outlets have given American youth more momentum and political knowledge to take to the polls. The youth is ready to vote.

In past generations, it may have been true that the youth was in the dark about presidential candidate platforms and political policies, but it is time to move on.

As the world turns, the youth is evolving and politics is becoming second nature.

Students have realized that politics can make or break their futures. Job opportunities, economic growth and college debt depend on the candidates we vote into office.

Each political party is grounded on a certain belief system, and it is up to us to decide what system we will endorse for a greater tomorrow.

It is more than a red and blue color affiliation. It is more than an elephant and a donkey. It is more than a sticker saying, “I voted today.”

It is our lives that we are putting in the hands of one man, President Barack Obama or Republican presidential candidate Gov. Mitt Romney.

Separately, we are just a whisper. But together, we are a voice. And that voice can be expressed on a ballot, just 47 days away.

It is up to us. We are the difference.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...